Order Statistics, Unbiasedness, and Expected Values

by Providence88
Tags: expected, order, statistics, unbiasedness, values
Share this thread:
Providence88
Jul26-09, 06:31 PM
P: 7
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Y1, Y2, ..., Yn denote a random sample from the uniform distribution on the interval ([tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\theta + 1[/tex]). Let [tex]\hat{\theta} = Y_{(n)} - \frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]

Show that [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] is an unbiased estimator for [tex]\theta[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Well, to check for unbiasedness, E([tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex]) should = [tex]\theta[/tex].

The difficulty for me arises when calculating [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex], needed to find E[[tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex]]. The interval ([tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\theta + 1[/tex]) seems to make this integral very complicated:

[tex]E[\hat{\theta}][/tex] = [tex]\int^{\theta + 1}_{\theta} yg_{(n)}(y)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to find [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex], which I thought to be [tex]ny^{n-1}[/tex], but according to our solutions manual, it's actually [tex]n(y-\theta)^{n-1}[/tex], which I have no idea how that is concluded. And even if that is the true value of [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex], the integral is still looking very daunting.

Any help? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Cyosis
Jul27-09, 10:09 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,495
I am not quite sure what [itex]g_n(y)[/itex] is so you will have to explain why you thought it would equal [itex]n y^{n-1}[/itex]. As for the integral it is not so hard. You can solve it by partial integration.

[tex]
\int_{\theta}^{\theta+1} ny(y-\theta)^{n-1}dy=y (y-\theta)^n ]_\theta^{\theta+1}-\int_{\theta}^{\theta+1} (y-\theta)^n dy
[/tex]
Providence88
Jul27-09, 10:16 AM
P: 7
Oh, [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex] is the density function for [tex]Y_{(n)}[/tex]=max(Y1, Y2, ..., Yn)

[tex]g_{(n)}(y) = n[F(Y)]^{n-1}*f(y)[/tex], where F(Y) is the distribution function of Y and f(y) is the density function. Since the bounds are theta and theta plus one, I assumed that f(y), by definition, is 1/(theta + one - theta), which equals one. If f(y) = 1, then F(Y) = y + C. I'm starting to think that the plus C would be -(theta).

Register to reply