Register to reply

If all the empty space of atoms were removed, how big would this earth be?

by sskkambad
Tags: atoms, earth, removed, space
Share this thread:
sskkambad
Sep25-09, 08:27 PM
P: 2
Hi everyone, first time poster.
Considering some of the things discussed here, I apologize if my question sounds simplistic.

If this earth could be compressed so that all the empty space in atoms would disappear how big would this earth be?
My science teacher once told me that it would be the size of a marble, and I've also heard that it would be the size of a large stadium. I realize it's not an easy thing to estimate but that seems to be quite a difference.

An example of such scales of atoms would be appreciated. (i.e. I've also been told all 6.5 people in this world could be compressed into the size of a kidney bean)

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Vanadium 50
Sep25-09, 09:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,469
The stadium is closer. An iron atom has a radius of about 1.2 x 10-10 m and an iron nucleus about 4.6 x 10-15 m. So there is a factor of about 26000 in radius, which means the earth would be about 500 m across.
Phrak
Sep25-09, 10:23 PM
P: 4,512
The black hole radius of the Earth is about 1 cm.

sskkambad
Sep26-09, 03:31 AM
P: 2
If all the empty space of atoms were removed, how big would this earth be?

Thanks for the answer! Come to think of it, I think my science teacher was referring to the black hole density, not the compressed atom density.

Register to reply