How sweet it is: New tool for characterizing plant sugar transporters
The right amount of grazing builds diverse forest ecosystems
Monique
Oct8-09, 09:28 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
First a clarification of the definitions: AIDS is the syndrome that can be caused by the HIV virus. You can be infected with the HIV virus and not have AIDS.

If the mother is infected with the HIV virus there is a possibility that the virus is transferred to the unborn baby through the placenta, there is also the risk that the baby gets infected with the virus via blood-contact during birth. Under appropriate treatment by medical professionals the risk of viral transfer can be substantially reduced.
jontyjashan
Oct8-09, 09:09 PM
P: 68
according to me,
through placenta only food and oxygen are transferred
there is no blood contact or transfer
and viruses can only be transmitted through blood
so what should be the result????

Monique
Oct9-09, 05:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
HIV transmission

You are right that the placenta acts as a physical barrier between the mother and the infant, but research has shown that infection can take place in utero. The mechanism is poorly understood, but it appears that HIV is able to infect the placental cells and that the infection can spread in such a way to the infant.

Here is a review from the Journal of Perinatology
Role of placenta in the vertical transmission of human immunodeficiency virus

Objective: Review the role and mechanism of in utero placental transmission of HIV-1.

Study Design: A thorough review based on a literature search for publications relevant to this subject was performed using relevant search terms. Articles that describe the genetic and pathophysiology of vertical transmission have been acknowledged. The articles pertinent to the topic were selected to support the discussion.

Results: Vertical transmission may occur through CD4+ endothelial tissues or CD4+ Hofbauer cells. Trophoblasts and villi have CD4 receptors, which make them potential candidates for HIV infection. Placental cytokines and chemokines influence HIV replication in trophoblasts. Genetic analysis of HIV-1 sequences verify the interaction of HIV-1 and placental tissue. The vertical transmission of HIV-1 characterized by selection of genotype variant that escape the mother's immune system.

Conclusion: Placental transmission of HIV-1 is a complex incompletely understood process which requires advanced studies. The available literature provides information with regards to the interactions of placental cells with HIV.

http://www.nature.com/jp/journal/v29...p2008187a.html
jontyjashan
Oct9-09, 10:14 AM
P: 68
thanks
good reply
but where can i get my doubts clarified???
Monique
Oct9-09, 01:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jontyjashan View Post
thanks
good reply
but where can i get my doubts clarified???
You should talk to a medical professional, a good starting point is your family doctor.

Register to reply