Exploring the Applications of Complex Variables in Physics and Engineering

In summary, complex variables can be useful in solving theoretical problems, but they don't always correspond to real-world situations. They can also be a useful tool for understanding real-world situations.
Winzer
I just completed a course on complex variables. I really enjoyed the application sections.
I was thinking of studying CV a little more on my own.
The question is: is it worth it to study more CV for physics and engineering?
What advantage would it give me?

Aside: I was browsing through the book "Visual Complex Analysis" Needham and found a stunning statement, at least for me: " The complex mappings that correspond to Lorentz transformations are the Mobius Transformation! Conversely, every Mobius transformation of C yields a unique Lorentz transformation of space-time." Now I may be easily entertained, but I seriously dropped my jaw at this statement. That's too amazing! What more amazing things can be done in C?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, haven't heard of the Lorentz transform connection.

There is something even more useful with complex numbers (apart from evaluation infinite integrals of course!). I don't recall the details, but 2D problems in fluid flow or electrostatics can be solved with conformal mapping. For that coordinates are taken as complex variables and a function of that variable can transform the problem with a complicating boundary structure into one with a very simple boundary.

For engineers and most physicists I suppose basic knowledge of contour integration and conformal mapping is sufficient.

I have not heard of the connection between CV and the Lorentz transformation and Moibus transformations, but I confer with the previous post on the usefulness of CV in conformal mapping in solving complex problems, such as in electrostatics. Even more important is the usefulness in solving problems in EE, where impedances of circuits and systems can be either real (resistances) or reactive (capacitances and inductances). For example,
V = R + jwL -j/wC for simple series circuits. Another is the relation between watts, power factor, and volt-amps. There are similar applications in fluid flow and other ME applications. In physics, exponents can represent real (e.g., absorption and attenuation) or imaginary (e.g., energy shifts). Solution of dissipative harmonic oscillator problems require an understanding of complex variables. Causal relations, like the Kramers-Kronig relations, provide causal relations between dispersion and attenuation using complex variables. After having "grown up" using FORTRAN with COMPLEX variables as a DEFINE option, I miss it in simpler programming languages.
Bob S

Last edited:
Conformal mappings in theoretical fluid flow problems is a very neat way of analysing drags and lifts on really complicated aerofoil shapes, I really enjoyed learning about them.

Thanks for the response guys.
The things you all have mentioned I am familiar with. I guess I was thinking along the lines of more theoretical.

We covered briefly the fluid flow around objects. It's neat, but from an applications point of view isn't it too idealistic? The relations don't cover viscosity, so you get boundary layers that don't separate like they do in real life. Again, this was covered briefly so there could be more to it.

What are complex variables and how are they used in physics?

Complex variables are mathematical quantities that have both a real and imaginary component. In physics, they are used to describe physical phenomena that involve oscillatory behavior, such as electromagnetic waves. They are also used in solving differential equations and in the study of fluid dynamics.

What is the difference between a complex variable and a real variable?

A complex variable has both a real and imaginary component, while a real variable only has a single real number value. In other words, a complex variable can be represented as a point on a 2-dimensional plane, while a real variable can only be represented as a point on a 1-dimensional number line.

How are complex numbers and complex variables related?

Complex numbers are a subset of complex variables, specifically those that have a zero imaginary component. They can be thought of as a special case of complex variables. Complex variables, on the other hand, can have any value for both their real and imaginary components.

Why are complex variables useful in solving physical problems?

Complex variables allow us to represent and manipulate oscillatory behavior, which is present in many physical systems. They also simplify the process of solving differential equations, which are commonly used to model physical phenomena.

What are some common applications of complex variables in physics?

Complex variables are used in a wide range of physical applications, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in engineering fields such as electrical and mechanical engineering.