Register to reply

D+D Nuclear Fusion Reactors

by Lamented_Soul
Tags: fusion, nuclear, reactors
Share this thread:
Lamented_Soul
Nov20-09, 12:21 PM
P: 19
Do you think D+D Nuclear Fusion will be possible within the next 50 or 60 years? Although the Z machine reportedly reached temperatures of over 2,000,000,000 Degrees (F), I doubt we will be able to output enough energy and pressure to make a self-sustaining D+D fusion reaction anytime within the next 100 years.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Ivan Seeking
Nov21-09, 12:02 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
This is the latest information that I have in the napster regarding the cold fusion claims. I know there was something about this during the last year or so, but it seems that I don't have a link handy at the moment. My best reading so far is that there are observed anomalies, but any evidence for cold fusion is weak at best. More likely the anomalies are the result of other factors such as contamination and measurement errors.
http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/MAR0...nEventID=28515

Speculation about something like this is pointless so I am locking the thread. I would do a search at google scholar for related papers published in respected physics journals, in order to get an overview of the latest information.
Ivan Seeking
Nov27-09, 02:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
It has been brought to my attention that there is a hot fusion side of the D+D reaction. My mistake, but still too speculative for S&D as posted. A discussion about the state of the technology would be appropriate for the nuclear engineering or physics forums.

My time in the forums has been extremely limited of late an apparently I didn't even read the op. Sorry about that.

Register to reply