Is D+D Nuclear Fusion Possible in the Next 50-60 Years?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of D+D nuclear fusion within the next 50-60 years. Despite reports of high temperatures being reached, it is unlikely that enough energy and pressure can be generated for a self-sustaining reaction in the next 100 years. The validity of cold fusion claims is also questioned, with suggestions that any observed anomalies are likely due to other factors. It is recommended to search for related papers in respected physics journals for more information on the topic. The conversation also mentions the existence of a hot fusion side of the D+D reaction, but it is deemed too speculative for the current forum.
Lamented_Soul
Do you think D+D Nuclear Fusion will be possible within the next 50 or 60 years? Although the Z machine reportedly reached temperatures of over 2,000,000,000 Degrees (F), I doubt we will be able to output enough energy and pressure to make a self-sustaining D+D fusion reaction anytime within the next 100 years.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the latest information that I have in the napster regarding the cold fusion claims. I know there was something about this during the last year or so, but it seems that I don't have a link handy at the moment. My best reading so far is that there are observed anomalies, but any evidence for cold fusion is weak at best. More likely the anomalies are the result of other factors such as contamination and measurement errors.
http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/MAR05/SessionIndex/55/?SessionEventID=28515

Speculation about something like this is pointless so I am locking the thread. I would do a search at google scholar for related papers published in respected physics journals, in order to get an overview of the latest information.

It has been brought to my attention that there is a hot fusion side of the D+D reaction. My mistake, but still too speculative for S&D as posted. A discussion about the state of the technology would be appropriate for the nuclear engineering or physics forums.

My time in the forums has been extremely limited of late an apparently I didn't even read the op. Sorry about that.

1. How does a D+D nuclear fusion reactor work?

A D+D nuclear fusion reactor works by using deuterium (D) and tritium (T) atoms, which are isotopes of hydrogen, as fuel. The atoms are heated to extremely high temperatures and pressures, causing them to fuse together and release energy in the form of heat. This heat is then used to generate electricity.

2. What are the benefits of using D+D fusion reactors?

D+D fusion reactors have several benefits, including the fact that they use a nearly limitless fuel source (deuterium can be extracted from water), they produce much less nuclear waste compared to traditional nuclear reactors, and they do not produce greenhouse gases or contribute to climate change.

3. What are the challenges of developing D+D fusion reactors?

The main challenge in developing D+D fusion reactors is achieving and maintaining the high temperatures and pressures needed for fusion to occur. This requires advanced technology and materials that can withstand extreme conditions. Additionally, the process of controlling and harnessing the fusion reaction is still being researched and refined.

4. Can D+D fusion reactors be used as a source of clean energy?

Yes, D+D fusion reactors have the potential to be a source of clean and sustainable energy. They do not emit greenhouse gases or produce nuclear waste, and the fuel source is abundant and easily accessible. However, there is still much research and development needed to make fusion reactors a viable and commercially available energy source.

5. Are there any risks associated with D+D fusion reactors?

While D+D fusion reactors do not have the same risks as traditional nuclear reactors, there are still some potential risks to consider. These include the potential for accidents or malfunctions that could release radioactive material, and the possibility of weapons proliferation if the technology falls into the wrong hands. However, these risks can be minimized through proper design, regulation, and safety protocols.