Earth v. Moon

by bcmarshall
Tags: astronomy, earth, moon, perspective, phase
Share this thread:
bcmarshall
Nov23-09, 01:03 PM
P: 11
Quote Quote by jambaugh View Post
Think about it this way. Suppose you are standing on the Moon at the point nearest the Earth. Thus the Earth is directly overhead of you. You lay on your back to see it clearly. Now on your back you can rotate so the "half-Earth" appears in any direction you like. Right?

Now pick and orientation you want to view the Earth. As you lay on your back on the Moon I walk in the direction your head is pointing until I'm a quarter way round the moon. I'll be standing up but oriented exactly as you are laying down and I'll see the Earth's phase at the same random orientation you chose when you laid down.

It is a matter of relativity of orientation. Forget the moon is there and imagine you are floating in space. Pick the orientation you want to observe the Earth and then imagine the Moon appears below your feet.
Great explanation. Thanks to all of you. It was enlightening for me.

BTW, I lost the bet with my friend. That sux!
Sorry!
Nov23-09, 01:05 PM
P: 571
I don't think the moon in India is always so prominently horizontal, I'm not sure though finding images of the moon from placess other than America is pretty difficult I'm finding :P
jambaugh
Nov23-09, 01:21 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,776
Quote Quote by bcmarshall View Post
BTW, I lost the bet with my friend. That sux!
Small price to pay for greater knowledge. (Or was it small? How much did you loose?)
bcmarshall
Nov23-09, 01:32 PM
Quote Quote by jambaugh View Post
Small price to pay for greater knowledge. (Or was it small? How much did you loose?)
Actually the only thing injured is my pride. I have to stand before the whole forum and say, "I'm not smarter than a 5th Grader!"

Oh well, could be worse...I think!
bcmarshall
Nov25-09, 02:01 AM
Since I started this thread, I spent a lot more time observing the moon and I realize that my assumptions about vertical shadows are completely incorrect. Even outside my own house tonight was a perfect example of how wrong that was. I took a photo, blurry because of a lack of tripod, but still clear enough to make my point.

My question now relates to this famous picture of Earthrise.

What mechanism would make the illuminated portion of the Earth at the top, and the illuminated portion of the Moon at the bottom?

Thanks again.
Vanadium 50
Nov25-09, 03:03 AM
Mentor
P: 16,352
Quote Quote by bcmarshall View Post
What mechanism would make the illuminated portion of the Earth at the top, and the illuminated portion of the Moon at the bottom.

Where is the sun? That will answer the question of why objects are illuminated the way they are. Always go back to that and you'll be fine.

Register to reply