Would you see stars on the early Earth?

• I
  • Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Stars
In summary, while the night sky would look different depending on the atmosphere that was present at the time of Earth's formation, it is possible to see stars and other objects.
windy miller
Im wondering what the night sky would look like if you stood on the surface of the Earth as it was forming?
Here is my best guess, I would like to know if I am on the right track
1. After it cooled down, it had no atmosphere so it would be like the surface of the moon so the stars wouldn't twinkle.
2 outgassing from volcanoes gradually started to make an atmosphere but then things start to get complicated . it seems there isn't agreement on how think the atmosphere was initially , see article below:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/early-earth-s-atmosphere-was-surprisingly-thin/
Im wondering if you could still see the stars at night even with the thicker atmosphere model or not?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
windy miller said:
Im wondering what the night sky would look like if you stood on the surface of the Earth as it was forming?
Here is my best guess, I would like to know if I am on the right track
1. After it cooled down, it had no atmosphere so it would be like the surface of the moon so the stars wouldn't twinkle.

I think there was plenty of outgassing as Earth was forming, and atmosphere was already rather significant. Possibly denser than our current one.

Likes davenn
nikkkom said:
I think there was plenty of outgassing as Earth was forming, and atmosphere was already rather significant. Possibly denser than our current one.

Thanks for your answer. Would it be so dense to block out all the stars, maybe even the sun itself? Given the article I linked should we think it wasn't so dense or is this seen as not the conventional view?

Has the Earth was forming there was an extensive comet barrage in progress. The zodiacal light would have been intense. Lots of lights to decease view of stars. If the moon was still forming the ring of dust would block a lot. Also moon was much closer so a full moon would drown out more stars the it does now.

With oceans steaming off it would have bee cloudy a lot.

Likes windy miller
thanks that's very interesting. What about the Sun , even with the cloud do you thin it would block out the sun?

While Earth's surface was still hot, any water present would only be able to exist as water vapor in the atmosphere.
There could have been enough to to produce a thick permanent cloud layer with other gases and particulates mixed in.
Similar to how Venus is at present.

What about the proximity of the moon? I am thinking it was v close to Earth in its early history so maybe even if there was a thick cloud layer it would have been bright enough to see due this proximity? Do you think this is right?

On Venus sunlight does reach the surface as a diffused ambient light.
For a cloud covered Earth, a very close Moon (as well as the Sun) could produce ambient light.at the surface.
Other stars and bodies however would not be visible at all.
You could determine that there is a light source or two, but would not be able to see them as objects in the ordinary sense of seeing

Last edited:
Yes I wasn't really thinking about an ambient light source, but a discernable shape. I know that at full moon with some cloud cover i can see the shape fo the moon through the clouds. So the ability to discern the shape of the moon will depend not just on the cloud cover but also the brightness of the moon. On the Early Earth the moon would have been amazingly bright as it was so close. So perhaps it could have had a discernable shape.

1. How were stars visible on the early Earth?

Stars were visible on the early Earth because the atmosphere was much thinner and contained less light pollution, allowing for a clearer view of the night sky.

2. Were there any differences in the appearance of stars on the early Earth compared to now?

Yes, there were likely some differences in the appearance of stars on the early Earth compared to now. The early Earth had a higher concentration of hydrogen and helium, which would have affected the colors and brightness of stars.

3. Could you see constellations on the early Earth?

Yes, it is believed that constellations would have been visible on the early Earth. However, due to the Earth's rotation and changes in the positions of stars over time, the constellations would have looked slightly different than they do now.

4. Were there any other celestial bodies visible in the early Earth's night sky?

Yes, in addition to stars, the early Earth's night sky would have also included visible planets, such as Venus, Mars, and Jupiter. The moon would have also been visible, although it would have appeared much larger due to its closer proximity to Earth at the time.

5. How did the visibility of stars on the early Earth impact early civilizations?

The visibility of stars on the early Earth played a significant role in early civilizations, as they used the stars for navigation, tracking time, and developing calendars. The stars also held cultural and spiritual significance for many ancient civilizations.