amateur telescope eyepiece filters

by Stanwyck66
Tags: amateur, eyepiece, filters, telescope
Stanwyck66
Jan20-10, 06:38 PM
P: 20
So, I have a relatively small (6") Orion Dobsonian with a 25mm and 7.5mm Plossl eyepieces and live in a somewhat light polluted area. Because of this, I am considering purchasing an eyepiece filter to reduce light pollution and enhance nebula/planetary viewing. I was wondering how this would affect my viewing with my eyepiece's and their eye relief. Also, I was wondering if these filters really are effective enough to enhance the details with my scope. Here are the filters I'm considering:

http://www.telescope.com/control/acc...escope-filters

http://www.telescope.com/control/acc...yepiece-filter
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quest for extraterrestrial life not over, experts say
Continents may be a key feature of Super-Earths
Astronomers discover first self-lensing binary star system
chemisttree
Jan27-10, 04:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Those will both work great. Don't forget to get a variable polarizer as well to darken the moon as well. On sale now at Orion for $37.95. Great value IMHO.

These filters screw onto the bottom of your eyepiece and won't affect your eye relief. They lengthen your eyepiece by a quarter inch or so but that shouldn't cause any issues.
Chronos
Jan28-10, 01:00 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,182
Filters are a good option for moon photography. For nebula, extending your tube will help a lot with light pollution without sacrificing aperature. All you need to do is tape about a 2 foot piece of rolled up parchment paper to the end of your scope. Spray paint the inside flat black.

Stanwyck66
Jan28-10, 11:21 PM
P: 20

amateur telescope eyepiece filters

Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Filters are a good option for moon photography. For nebula, extending your tube will help a lot with light pollution without sacrificing aperature. All you need to do is tape about a 2 foot piece of rolled up parchment paper to the end of your scope. Spray paint the inside flat black.
I've gotten great pictures of the moon and planets, I wasn't even considering nebula photography. Is it really as simple as taping a piece of paper to the end of my scope?
chemisttree
Feb2-10, 04:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
No, it isn't by my experience. You aren't going to be doing much nebula photography with a dob mount unless you can convert it to a tracking mount. The rolled up paper will only cut stray light entering from relatively close sources like a streetlamp. Skyglow will be entirely unaffected by that light shield.

For nebula, try a nebula or OIII filter as well. Astronomics has one for about $50 that works pretty well.

Register to reply