Magnetism AP Free Response Problem, HELP

In summary, the given problem involves calculating the net magnetic field at a point due to two perpendicular wires carrying different currents, determining the direction and magnitude of this field, finding the charge on a particle experiencing a force in this field, and determining the magnitude and direction of the electric field that would make the net force on the particle zero. The correct formulas for these calculations are provided, and further assistance is offered.

Homework Statement

teacherweb.com/CT/TrumbullHS/.../APOralFinalQuestions1-10.doc for pic.

The magnitude of the magnetic field in teslas at a distance d from a long straight wire carrying a current I is given by the relation B = 2 X 10-7 I/d. The two long straight wires shown above are perpendicular, insulated from each other, and small enough so that they may be considered to be in the same plane. The wires are not free to move. Point P, in the same plane as the wires, is 0.5 meter from the wire carrying a current of 1 ampere and is 1.0 meter from the wire carrying a current of 3 amperes.

a. What is the direction of the net magnetic field at P due to the currents?

b. Determine the magnitude of the net magnetic field at P due to the currents.
A charged particle at point P that is instantaneously moving with a velocity of 106 meters per second toward the top of the page experiences a force of 10-7 Newtons to the left due to the two currents.

c. State whether the charge on the particle is positive or negative.

d. Determine the magnitude of the charge on the particle.

e. Determine the magnitude and direction of an electric field also at point P that would make the net force on this moving charge equal to zero.

Homework Equations

B = mu not * current / 2 pi r

F = B I L

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b) i found the net magnetic field as 2.0 times 10 ^ 7, is this right? and I don't know how to do anything elsee! please help

Physics news on Phys.org
!

I would like to clarify and offer assistance in solving the given problem. Firstly, the equation B = 2 x 10^-7 I/d is the correct formula for calculating the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance d from a long straight wire carrying a current I. However, the formula B = mu not * current / 2 pi r is also valid, where mu not is the permeability of free space and r is the distance from the wire.

To solve the problem, we first need to determine the direction of the net magnetic field at point P. Since the two wires are perpendicular to each other, the magnetic fields generated by each wire will be perpendicular as well. Therefore, the net magnetic field at point P will be in the direction of the vector sum of the two individual magnetic fields, which can be determined using the right-hand rule.

Next, we can calculate the magnitude of the net magnetic field at point P by plugging in the given values into the formula B = 2 x 10^-7 I/d. This will give us the magnitude of the magnetic field due to each wire, which we can then add together to get the net magnetic field.

Moving on to part c, we can determine the charge on the particle by using the formula F = BIL, where F is the force experienced by the particle, B is the net magnetic field at point P, and L is the length of the wire. We know the value of F and B, and we can assume a value for L (since it is not given in the problem), which will allow us to solve for the current I. Once we have the value of I, we can use the formula Q = I x t, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and t is the time for which the particle is moving with a velocity of 10^6 m/s.

Lastly, to determine the electric field at point P that would make the net force on the particle equal to zero, we can use the formula F = Q * E, where F is the force experienced by the particle, Q is the charge on the particle, and E is the electric field. We know the value of F and Q, so we can solve for E.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. Do let me know if you need any further clarification or assistance. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem?

The Magnetism AP Free Response Problem is designed to test your understanding of magnetism and its applications in electromagnetism. It is often used as part of the Advanced Placement (AP) Physics exam.

2. What topics are covered in the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem?

The Magnetism AP Free Response Problem covers various topics related to magnetism, including magnetic fields, force on moving charges, current-carrying wires, and electromagnetic induction.

3. How can I prepare for the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem?

To prepare for the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem, you should review the relevant concepts and equations related to magnetism. Practice solving similar problems and familiarize yourself with the format of the AP exam.

4. Are there any specific strategies for solving the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem?

One strategy for solving the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem is to draw diagrams to visualize the magnetic field and forces involved. Another strategy is to carefully read the question and identify what is given and what needs to be solved.

5. Are calculators allowed for the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem?

Yes, calculators are allowed for the Magnetism AP Free Response Problem. However, it is important to note that the AP Physics exam places more emphasis on conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills rather than calculations. A calculator should only be used to assist with calculations, not as a substitute for understanding the concepts.