Solving for Magnification in a Microscope

In summary, the task is to make a microscope using two lenses with focal lengths of 2.8 cm and 1.1 cm. The more powerful lens will be used as the objective and the distance between the lenses will be 15 cm. The magnification of the objective lens is -11, obtained by using the thin lens equation and solving for s'. The magnification of the eyepiece is not specified and must be multiplied with the magnification of the objective lens to get the final answer. There seems to be some confusion and discrepancy with the numerical values provided in the book.
Linus Pauling
1. Your task in physics laboratory is to make a microscope from two lenses. One lens has a focal length of 2.8 cm, the other 1.1 cm. You plan to use the more powerful lens as the objective, and you want the eyepiece to be 15 cm from the objective.

What is the magnification of your microscope?

2. Thin lens equation
M_obj = -s'/s
M_eye = ?

3. In part one I solved for s, and s = 1.2cm. The more powerful lens is the one with f = 1.1, and s' = 13.2. Thus, the magnification of the objective lens should be -s'/s = -13.2/1.2 = -11. Is that correct? Also, what do I sue for the magnification of the eye? I know that I have to mutiply those two values to obtain my final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
This one's really killing me guys. I think I've got all my sign conventions right, and none of the incorrect answers I've tried have said, "check your signs." I've tried the s'=15cm for the image distance (which I used to calculate s in part one, which was correct...) but that didn't work, i.e. -(15/1.1)(25/2.8). I also tried using s'=15-2.8=12.2, putting the image from the objective projected onto the focal point of the eyepiece.

wtf...

The answer is in the back of the book, but with different numerical values. I worked out how to get the correct answer for the book numbers, then applied the exact same logic to the question with the values I am asking about... and it says it's wrong...

FAQ: Solving for Magnification in a Microscope

What is lens magnification?

Lens magnification refers to the ability of a lens to make an object appear larger or smaller compared to its actual size.

How is lens magnification calculated?

Lens magnification is calculated by dividing the size of the image produced by the lens by the size of the actual object. This can be expressed as a ratio or as a percentage.

What factors affect lens magnification?

The factors that affect lens magnification include the focal length of the lens, the distance between the lens and the object, and the type of lens (e.g. convex, concave, etc.). Additionally, the size of the camera sensor can also affect the perceived magnification.

What is the difference between optical and digital magnification?

Optical magnification is achieved through the physical properties of the lens, while digital magnification is a result of digitally enlarging an image captured by the lens. Optical magnification produces higher quality and more accurate results compared to digital magnification.

How can lens magnification be used in scientific research?

Lens magnification is commonly used in scientific research to study small or microscopic objects, such as cells or microorganisms. It is also used in various imaging techniques, such as microscopy, telescopes, and cameras, to capture and analyze images at different levels of magnification.

Back