Terminology? (heated to reflux, washed, etc)

In summary, this procedure yields a phthalic acid derivative that has a literature melting point of 208 degrees Celsius."
mc2718
Hi,

Could someone help me out regarding chemist lingo?

i) "were heated to reflux for one hour"

Does it mean that the stuff was heated, or even boiling, but with condensing the vapor back to the container (so that the solvent is not lost)?

ii) "the solution was then washed with 5% aqueous Na2CO3"

Does this simply mean that you pour in the Na2CO3 dissolved in water, and that is all, or is there something else done?

iii) "was allowed to stand over solid anhydrous Na2SO4 for 15 minutes"

Does this mean you just pour it over that Na2SO4 (powder, I guess), and wait?

iv) "after slowly cooling the solution, crystals were obtained, which after filtering and drying gave a melting point of 205°"

How do you filter CRYSTALS?? Also, is drying really what a layperson would think (i.e., let it dry over air, or like using the hair-dryer), or is it something different?

v) solubility units

If solubility is given as a number without any units (e.g., 0.03, or 6.3), does that mean simple molar ratio (stuff to solvent)?

Thanks for any help to elucidate these. I am trying to make sense of this experiment:

"Phthalic acid and aniline were heated to reflux for one hour. Upon cooling, the mixture was dissolved in ether and placed in a separatory funnel. The solution was then washed with 5% aqueous Na2CO3 followed by 5% aqueous HCl and allowed to stand over solid anhydrous Na2SO4 for 15 minutes. The ether was then evaporated and a solid product obtained.

The crude product was dissolved in an appropriate hot solvent and after slowly cooling the solution, crystals were obtained, which after filtering and drying gave a melting point of 205° to 207°C. The literature value for the melting point of the expected product is 208°C."

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mc2718 said:
Hi,

Could someone help me out regarding chemist lingo?

i) "were heated to reflux for one hour"

Does it mean that the stuff was heated, or even boiling, but with condensing the vapor back to the container (so that the solvent is not lost)?

ii) "the solution was then washed with 5% aqueous Na2CO3"

Does this simply mean that you pour in the Na2CO3 dissolved in water, and that is all, or is there something else done?

iii) "was allowed to stand over solid anhydrous Na2SO4 for 15 minutes"

Does this mean you just pour it over that Na2SO4 (powder, I guess), and wait?

iv) "after slowly cooling the solution, crystals were obtained, which after filtering and drying gave a melting point of 205°"

How do you filter CRYSTALS?? Also, is drying really what a layperson would think (i.e., let it dry over air, or like using the hair-dryer), or is it something different?

v) solubility units

If solubility is given as a number without any units (e.g., 0.03, or 6.3), does that mean simple molar ratio (stuff to solvent)?

Thanks for any help to elucidate these. I am trying to make sense of this experiment:

"Phthalic acid and aniline were heated to reflux for one hour. Upon cooling, the mixture was dissolved in ether and placed in a separatory funnel. The solution was then washed with 5% aqueous Na2CO3 followed by 5% aqueous HCl and allowed to stand over solid anhydrous Na2SO4 for 15 minutes. The ether was then evaporated and a solid product obtained.

The crude product was dissolved in an appropriate hot solvent and after slowly cooling the solution, crystals were obtained, which after filtering and drying gave a melting point of 205° to 207°C. The literature value for the melting point of the expected product is 208°C."

This is a very common procedure in organic lab.
1) heated to reflux, yes it is usually at a high temperature enough such that some components of the liquid will boil and vaporise, but since it is within a closed vessel, it will eventually condense back to be part of the solution, and this continuous process can help speed up reaction(in terms of activation energy)

2) usually leave it to cool for a while, then you wash with sodium carbonate in a separatory funnel, this is to remove all the acid unreacted. you would need to release the pressure inside the funnel after shaking for a while, CO2 buildup can be dangerous.

3) from that, you'd get an organic layer and an aqueous layer. You want the organic layer, that is your product. Get this separated from the aqueous layer and then add anhydrous MGSO4(drying agent).

4) Filter either with suction filtration or normal filtration.

5) usually people add in a minimum amount of very hot solvent to dissolve the filtered product. Then either cool naturally or cool in ice bath, scratching the flask waiting for crystals to form, do suction filtration to collect the crystals again. you can wash the remaining stuff with COLD solvent(very little bit).

6) This is your product, as pure as you could probably get in teaching lab. Do mp analysis, nmr, ir or whatever tests necessary.

Many thanks for the quick response.

shengoc said:
2) usually leave it to cool for a while, then you wash with sodium carbonate in a separatory funnel, this is to remove all the acid unreacted. you would need to release the pressure inside the funnel after shaking for a while, CO2 buildup can be dangerous.

I see, so technically this gives me Na+whateveritiscalled (phthal-something) salt + H2CO3 acid, the latter however dissolves easily since the CO2 concentration outside is negligible and I just get the water back. Neat.

By the way, why use the HCl afterwards?

shengoc said:
3) from that, you'd get an organic layer and an aqueous layer. You want the organic layer, that is your product.

Does "washing" mean the whole procedure, including the removal of the water (at the bottom of the funnel) that was introduced when these two solutions (Na2CO3 and HCl) were added?
shengoc said:
4) Filter either with suction filtration or normal filtration.

Many thanks for these helpful keywords.

shengoc said:
5) usually people add in a minimum amount of very hot solvent to dissolve the filtered product. Then either cool naturally or cool in ice bath, scratching the flask waiting for crystals to form, do suction filtration to collect the crystals again. you can wash the remaining stuff with COLD solvent(very little bit).

Oh, so operationally this is nothing like growing those salt crystals on a thread...

---

By the way, is there a good website about the properties of the various chemical substances? I could not find the resulting N-phenyl-phthalimide on Wikipedia...

1. What does it mean to heat a substance to reflux?

When a substance is heated to reflux, it means that it is being heated to its boiling point and then continuously kept at that temperature. This is often done by using a condenser to cool the vapors produced during boiling, causing them to condense and drip back into the reaction flask. This technique is commonly used in organic chemistry to ensure that reactions proceed smoothly and completely.

2. Why is washing a substance important in scientific terminology?

Washing a substance refers to the process of removing impurities or unwanted substances from a sample. This is important in scientific terminology because it ensures the accuracy and purity of the sample being used in experiments or analyses. Washing can be done with various solvents or through physical methods such as filtration.

3. What is the purpose of using "etc" in scientific terminology?

The abbreviation "etc" stands for "et cetera," which means "and so on" or "and other things." In scientific terminology, it is often used to indicate a list of additional materials or steps that are not explicitly mentioned but are assumed to follow a similar pattern or process. This allows for conciseness and efficiency in scientific writing.

4. How do scientists determine the appropriate terminology to use in their research?

The appropriate terminology used in scientific research is determined through a combination of established conventions, scientific knowledge and understanding of the subject matter, and careful consideration of the target audience. Scientists must also ensure that their terminology is accurate, precise, and consistent throughout their work.

5. Is it important for scientists to use standardized terminology?

Yes, it is important for scientists to use standardized terminology in their research. Standardization allows for clear communication and understanding among scientists, promotes reproducibility and consistency in experiments, and helps to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of results. It also allows for easier collaboration and comparison of findings between different research groups.