Register to reply

Is College Algebra & Trig the same thing as Pre-Calculus?

by Poker-face
Tags: college algebra, pre-calculus, trig
Share this thread:
Poker-face
Mar12-10, 06:21 AM
P: 60
1. I am in intermediate Algebra and would like to take one more course to get prepared for Calculus 1. I am currently at a commmunity college and they offer College Algebra & Trig as their Pre- Calculus. Is this this equivalient to Pre-Calculus? Will I be prepared for Calculus?

Thanks,
EG
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
HallsofIvy
Mar12-10, 08:34 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,683
Not exactly. "PreCalculus" should contain "limit concepts" and other things that are specifically used in Calculus. However, there is a lot of overlap between "Pre-Calculus" and "College Algebra and Trig". If your college offers "College Algebra and Trig" as "their precalculus", they probably include the "calculus" topics.
Angry Citizen
Mar12-10, 09:10 AM
P: 867
At my college, college algebra and trig are equivalent to pre-calculus, but as I took college algebra and then pre-calculus, I can tell you that pre-calculus is more in-depth, and it really helps you prepare for calculus. An overview on limits, derivatives and I believe integrals are included, mostly to familiarize you with the concepts.

Think of pre-calculus as a review of both courses, but applied with foreknowledge of calculus. It really helps to anchor down your mathematical base. A lot of people in calculus don't screw up on the calculus parts of calculus, they screw up on the algebraic techniques.

Register to reply