Is College Algebra & Trig the same thing as Pre-Calculus?

by Poker-face
Tags: college algebra, pre-calculus, trig
Poker-face
Mar12-10, 06:21 AM
P: 60
1. I am in intermediate Algebra and would like to take one more course to get prepared for Calculus 1. I am currently at a commmunity college and they offer College Algebra & Trig as their Pre- Calculus. Is this this equivalient to Pre-Calculus? Will I be prepared for Calculus?

Thanks,
EG
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
HallsofIvy
Mar12-10, 08:34 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,882
Not exactly. "PreCalculus" should contain "limit concepts" and other things that are specifically used in Calculus. However, there is a lot of overlap between "Pre-Calculus" and "College Algebra and Trig". If your college offers "College Algebra and Trig" as "their precalculus", they probably include the "calculus" topics.
Angry Citizen
Mar12-10, 09:10 AM
P: 867
At my college, college algebra and trig are equivalent to pre-calculus, but as I took college algebra and then pre-calculus, I can tell you that pre-calculus is more in-depth, and it really helps you prepare for calculus. An overview on limits, derivatives and I believe integrals are included, mostly to familiarize you with the concepts.

Think of pre-calculus as a review of both courses, but applied with foreknowledge of calculus. It really helps to anchor down your mathematical base. A lot of people in calculus don't screw up on the calculus parts of calculus, they screw up on the algebraic techniques.

Register to reply