Entropy, free energy and chemical potential of mixtures

In summary: It sounds like you're trying to solve for the internal energy and Helmholtz free energy of the gas mixture, but you're not sure how to start. You might want to look at the equations for those properties and see if you can find a way to solve for them explicitly.
Derivator
Hi,

Homework Statement

Consider a mixture of different gases with [tex]N_i[/tex] molecules each (i=1...k denotes the species).
For ideal gases the following relation yields:

[tex]S(T,V,N_1,...N_k)=\sum_{i=1}^k S_i(T,V,N_i)[/tex]

a)Give explicit expressions for the entropy, the internal energy, Helmholtz free energy and Gibbs free energy

b) What is the change in entropy, if the k components are initially separated by moveable and diathermal seperators which get removed.

c) Calculate for this mixture the chemical potential [tex]\mu_i[/tex] for each component and show that the following relation holds:
[tex]\mu_i(p,T,N_1,...,N_k)=\mu_{i,0}(p,T) + kT\ln(c_i).[/tex]
Where [tex]c_i := N_i/N[/tex] (with [tex]N = \sum_i N_i[/tex]) is the concentration of the i-th component and [tex]\mu_{i,0}(p,T)[/tex] the chemical potential of the i-th component in unmixed state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea at all, how to solve this exercise. Here is my attempt:

a)

Entropy:
I know from http://books.google.com/books?id=12... thermodynamics&pg=PA42#v=onepage&q=&f=false" that the entropy of an ideal gas is given by

[tex]S_i(T,V,N_i) = S_0 + N_i k \ln\left(\left(\frac{T}{T_0}\right)^{3/2}\frac{V}{V_0}\right)[/tex]

So the entropy of the mixture (which we look for) may be given by the sum over this expression. Correct?

Internal energy:
I know that the internal energy is an extensive property, so
[tex]U = \sum_i U_i[/tex] with [tex]U_i = \frac{3}{2}\cdot N_i \cdot k \cdot T[/tex]
But I think, i should derive the internal energy of the mixture from the given equation [tex]S(T,V,N_1,...N_k)=\sum_{i=1}^k S_i(T,V,N_i)[/tex].

Helmholtz free energy:
Helmholtz free energy is given by
[tex]A = U - T\cdot S[/tex]
But how should I give an explicit expression for the mixture.

Gibbs free energy:
It is given by:
[text]G = H - T\cdot S[/tex]
Same problem as for the Helmholtz free energy, I don't know how to give an explicit expression for the mixture.b)

I think, due to the diathermal seperators, I can assume, that each component has the same temperature. But I don't know how to take into account that the seperators are moveable.
To be honest, I have no clue at all, how to solve this part...c)

According to the definition in our lecture, the chemical potential is given by:

[tex]\mu_i = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial N_m}\right)_{(S,V,N_1,...,N_k)}[/tex]
where U is the internal energy and N_m the number of particles of species m.

So i probably should derivate
[tex]U_i = \frac{3}{2}\cdot N_i \cdot k \cdot T[/tex]
with respect to N_i, to get [tex]\mu_i[/tex]
However, I see to chance how to show with this derivation, that the following relation holds:
[tex]\mu_i(p,T,N_1,...,N_k)=\mu_{i,0}(p,T) + kT\ln(c_i).[/tex]

(Sorry for my english, it's not my native language)
derivator

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
*push*

ok folks, let's look at b), please:

Entropy will change, because the available volume for one species will change. So I can take my formula for entropy

[tex]
S_i(T,V,N_i) = S_0 + N_i k \ln\left(\left(\frac{T}{T_0}\right)^{3/2}\frac{V}{V_0}\right)
[/tex]

and calculate

[tex]
\Delta S = \sum_i{S_i(T,V,N_i)} -\left(S_0 + N_i k \ln\left(\left(\frac{T}{T_0}\right)^{3/2}\frac{V_i}{V_0}\right)\right)
[/tex]

and simplify it.

But I didn't took notice of those movable separators. Do I have to take notice of them?

--derivator

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a closed system, entropy tends to increase over time. This means that the system becomes more disordered and less able to do work.

2. How is free energy related to entropy?

Free energy is a measure of the energy available to do work in a system. It is related to entropy through the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature, and ΔS is the change in entropy. As entropy increases, free energy decreases, meaning that the system becomes less able to do work.

3. What is the chemical potential of a mixture?

The chemical potential of a mixture is a measure of the potential energy of the molecules in a mixture. It is related to the concentration of the components in the mixture and can be used to predict the direction of spontaneous mixing or separation of the components.

4. How does temperature affect the chemical potential of a mixture?

As temperature increases, the chemical potential of a mixture decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules in the mixture have more kinetic energy and are more likely to be in a mixed state. This leads to a decrease in the potential energy of the mixture.

5. Can the chemical potential of a mixture be negative?

Yes, the chemical potential of a mixture can be negative. This means that the mixture has a lower potential energy than its individual components. In this case, the mixture is stable and will not spontaneously separate into its components.