Angular Momentum and Principal Axes of Inertia

by jpas
Tags: angular, axes, inertia, momentum, principal
jpas
Mar29-10, 04:57 PM
P: 45
Hi

Iīm self-studying Alonso and Finnīs Mechanics and I have a question about this subject.

Let a body rotate about an arbitrary axis P having angular momentum [tex]\vec L [/tex].
Consider a referential with three perpendicular axes, [tex] X_{0} , Y_{0} , Z_{0} [/tex] , which are also principal axes of inertia.
The book says we can write [tex] \vec L [/tex] as

[tex] \vec L = \vec u_{x} I_1 \omega_{x0} + \vec u_{y} I_2 \omega_{y0} + \vec u_{z} I_3 \omega_{z0} [/tex]

Does anybody how to derive this formula? The book usually explains things, but perhaps this is supost to be obvious.

By the way, I already know how to derive [tex] \vec L = I \vec \omega [/tex] for a body rotating about a principal axis of inertia but I donīt know how to derive this one.

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Galileo
Mar29-10, 06:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,004
Generally, if a rigid body is rotating about an arbitrary axis, the angular momentum need not point in the same direction as the rotation axis, as it does when [itex]\vec L = I \vec \omega [/itex] (for rotation about a principal axis).

The relation between [itex]\vec L[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex] is still linear, and I is generally a tensor quantity (the inertia tensor).
An object always has three principal axes and in that coordinate system the inertia tensor is diagonal. This leads directly to:
[tex]
\vec L = \vec u_{x} I_1 \omega_{x0} + \vec u_{y} I_2 \omega_{y0} + \vec u_{z} I_3 \omega_{z0}
[/tex]
It's really the only thing it can be if you know [itex]\vec L = I \vec \omega [/itex] holds for principal axes, there are three principal axes and the correspondence between [itex]\vec w[/itex] and [itex]\L[/itex] is linear.
jpas
Mar29-10, 06:51 PM
P: 45
Hello Galileo,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I couldnīt follow it because I donīt know what a tensor is. Iīm still a high school student. I guess Iīll just have to use it without knowing how to derive it. which is something I really hate.

Register to reply