Live-CD's? Violating policies?

by graphic7
Tags: livecd, policies, violating
graphic7
Aug13-04, 11:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 560
I've been wondering if booting a Live-Linux CD, i.e. "Knoppix" goes against my college's computer use guidelines.

"k. Users must not attempt to modify system facilities or subvert the restrictions associated with their computer resource."

Furthermore:

"While the *** does not routinely do so, the *** is able
and reserves the right to monitor and / or log all network activity of
users without notice, including all e-mail and Internet communications.
Users should have no reasonable expectation of privacy in the
use of these resources."

Technically, they still have the capability to monitor network traffic coming from a Live-CD booted machine.

I'm not writing data to the hard-drive, and the CD, itself, isn't part of the computer or college property. So *they* don't have the right to impose restrictions on the CD itself, unless the restrictions comply with the GPL.
(All software on Knoppix is under the GPL, or some nondistributable but open-source license).

The college is also *very* serious about software licensing. Since the specific Knoppix distribution I use is open-source and consists of mostly GPL'd software, they have doing to worry about.

It's a vague topic, looking for some input.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
dduardo
Aug13-04, 12:19 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
I wouldn't worry too much. Unless there is a big incident they won't check their logs. There is just too much data to keep track off. If you try and get fancy by encrypting your internet traffic through a tunnel you'll might call more attention to yourself, if they have an intrusion dection system setup.

Register to reply