How to Solve Integrals Involving Sin^6(x)dx: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter shft600
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral asks for the value of In summary, the integral asks for the value of The integral asks for the value of This is an improper integral type question.
shft600
Evaluate the following integral:
I=int{sin6(x)dx

This form of question has shown up on both midterms, and is on my final assignment of the semester and most likely the final exam as well, and I still haven't figured out how to solve them. Could somebody point me in the right direction? Should I be integrating by parts? U-substitution? I just don't know how to deal with the exponenet. I tried expanding it into the integral of (sin2x)3, but ended up with a page and of a half of work, and the wrong answer. I know the answer is 5x/16-15/64(sin2x)+3/64(sin4x)-1/192(sin6x), but as I said have no idea how to get there...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the identity
[tex] sin^2(x) = \frac{1 - cos(2x)}{2}[/tex]
The right side above is easy to integrate.
[tex] sin^4(x) = \left(\frac{1 - cos(2x)}{2}\right)^2 = (1/4)(1 - 2cos(2x) + cos^2(2x)[/tex]

The first two terms on the far right side are easy to integrate, but the last one requires a little more work, this time using the identity cos2(2x) = (1/2)(1 + cos(4x)).

Do you see how this idea could be extended?

I can get up to the point that
=(1/8) [ x - (3/2)sin(2x) + (3/2)( x + (1/4)sin(4x)) - int(cos3(2x)dx ]
but here I get stuck again on the new integral again,

I tried
int{ cos3(2x)
int{ cos2(2x) cos(2x) dx
int{ (1-sin2(2x)) (cos(2x)) dx, u=sin(2x), du=2cos(2x)
then,
1/2 int{ (1-u2)(du)
1/2 [ int{du - int{u2du ]
1/2 (u - u3/3)
1/2 (sin(2x) - sin3(2x)/3)
sin(2x)/2 - sin3(2x)/6

did I do something wrong in this part?

anybody? I haven't made any progress on this last integral yet... I found something online that claimed a rule that cos(3x)=4cos3(x)-3sin(x), so I manipulated it into cos3(2x)=(1/4)(cos(6x)+3sin(2x)), and then by integrating the right side of that I got (1/24)(sin(6x)-3/8(cos(2x))), which is almost the right answer EXCEPT for the negative should be a positive, and cosine a sine. The rule was just stated on yahoo answers though, so I can't tell if I did something wrong or if the other guy mistyped his rule, can anybody verify that?

int{ cos3(2x) = int{ cos6x/4 + int{3sin(2x)/4
= 1/4 int{ cos6x dx + 3/4 int{ sin(3x)dx
= 1/24(sin6x) - 3/8(cos2x)

where I need
= 1/24(sin6x) + 3/8(sin2x)

Last edited:
That formula you found online is incorrect: it should be cos(3x) = 4cos3(x) - 3cos(x).

You can get it by working with cos(3x) = cos(2x + x) = cos(2x)cos(x) - sin(2x)sin(x), and using the double angle formulas and the identity sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1.

You need a CRC handbook.

The foundation of good engineering career is to understand as much technology as you can and to have an excellent reference library for the parts you haven't comitted to memory. Which is most everything. Don't skimp on building your reference library.

excellent, I actually just found that mistake as I refreshed this page

but now I've taken a look at the next question and am even more confused...

I = int{ sin7x cos-3/5x dx

would this be an improper integral type question or can I use the same ideas on the last question?

never mind, that ended up being much easier than I expected

What is the integral of sin^6(x)dx?

The integral of sin^6(x)dx is equal to (3x/32) - (sin(2x)/8) + (sin(4x)/32) + (sin(6x)/192) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral of sin^6(x)dx?

To solve the integral of sin^6(x)dx, you can use the power-reducing formula for sin^2(x), which is sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2. This will allow you to rewrite sin^6(x) as a combination of sin(2x) and sin(4x). You can then use the power-reducing formula again to simplify the integral and solve for the final result.

Can the integral of sin^6(x)dx be solved using integration by parts?

Yes, the integral of sin^6(x)dx can be solved using integration by parts. You can choose sin^4(x) as your u and sin^2(x) as your dv, and then use the integration by parts formula to solve for the integral.

Is there a shortcut or easier way to solve the integral of sin^6(x)dx?

Yes, there is a shortcut or easier way to solve the integral of sin^6(x)dx. You can use the trigonometric identity sin^6(x) = (3-4cos(2x)+cos(4x))/8, which will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

Why is it important to solve the integral of sin^6(x)dx?

Solving the integral of sin^6(x)dx is important because it can be used to solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It also helps to develop a deeper understanding of integration techniques and trigonometric identities.