Register to reply

How can I tell when an electronic config is in ground or excited state?

by leemarvin
Tags: config, electronic, ground, state
Share this thread:
leemarvin
Apr28-10, 04:17 PM
P: 1
How can I tell, with an electronic configuration, if an element is in ground or exited state? Also, how can I determine what element it is if it uses a noble gas shortcut? I assume I find the noble gas in brackets, count the atomic number, add it to the elec config outside of the brackets, and that atomic number is what element it is? Or is it more complicated?

My teacher said something about excited state being 'not normal', he didn't elaborate.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Redbelly98
Apr29-10, 08:49 AM
Mentor
P: 12,069
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Quote Quote by leemarvin View Post
How can I tell, with an electronic configuration, if an element is in ground or exited state?
If the electron configuration follows the order shown at the bottom of this figure, it is a ground state atom.

(Figure is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration )

Also, how can I determine what element it is if it uses a noble gas shortcut? I assume I find the noble gas in brackets, count the atomic number, add it to the elec config outside of the brackets, and that atomic number is what element it is?
Yes.

My teacher said something about excited state being 'not normal', he didn't elaborate.
Most of the time, atoms are in the ground state. To be in an excited state, there must be energy supplied to the atom somehow -- for example by being at a high temperature, or being irradiated by light of sufficient energy.

Register to reply