Hawking On The Edge Of The Universe

by TimBowe
Tags: edge, hawking, universe
emc2cracker
May22-10, 12:41 PM
P: 91
I am talking strictly cosmology, I got the impression you were calling singularities in cosmology critical points.

In short I believe if there is a supreme intelligence then he is a scientist, as such everything we see should be explainable by physics. I am excited to be alive and studying cosmology, I have this crazy dream that maybe years down the road I can contribute, and if I cannot master the math then I'll leave it up to my children whom I am trying to brainwash into becoming cosmologists lol.

I respect your outlook though and I am by no means saying you are wrong, the plain truth is none of us here can say for sure... it may be that infinities are a crucial part of this universe being here and have no explanation.. but I like to think we can figure it out in due time.
TimBowe
May22-10, 08:56 PM
P: 31
No physicist holds that the singularity actually exists it's just an ideal mathematical limit to a series in a sense of calculus.
TimBowe
May27-10, 08:30 PM
P: 31
In Hawking's model time becomes another dimension of space, it is spatialized.

We might decide that there wasn't any singularity. The point is that the raw material doesn't really have to come from anywhere. When you have strong gravitational fields, they can create matter. It may be that there aren't really any quantities which are constant in time in the universe. The quantity of matter is not constant, because matter can be created or destroyed. But we might say that the energy of the universe would be constant, because when you create matter, you need to use energy. And in a sense the energy of the universe is constant; it is a constant whose value is zero. The positive energy of the matter is exactly balanced by the negative energy of the gravitational field. So the universe can start off with zero energy and still create matter. Obviously, the universe starts off at a certain time. Now you can ask: what sets the universe off. There doesn't really have to be any beginning to the universe. It might be that space and time together are like the surface of the earth, but with two more dimensions, with degrees of latitude playing the role of time.

Stephen Hawking

Register to reply