What is beyond the edge of the universe?

In summary, there are no theories about what is beyond the edge of the universe because by far the prevailing theory holds that there is no edge. The simplest way to visualize it is that if you fly far enough in one direction you will eventually return to where you started. There are a ton of threads on the subject in the cosmology section of the forum, so I recommend reading the Balloon Analogy thread at the top. According to actual theories, there is no such thing as an edge of the universe. The Hubble Constant is a number that proves the universe is expanding, but I'm not sure about the expansion speed.
KoreanSniper0720
Guys, what do you think is beyond the edge of the universe? There are a lot of theories, and I believe that the universe expands the same speed as light because if it goes any slower, it would meet. I think light interacts with dark matter to form a "boundary" of the universe in form of pure energy. Infinite universe makes no sense because then anything would be possible. BUT what would be beyond that edge?? What do you guys think?

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Sorry, but there are no theories about what is beyond the edge of the universe because by far the prevailing theory holds that there is no edge. The simplest...mostly accurate... way to visualize it is that if you fly far enough in one direction you will eventually return to where you started.

We have a ton of threads on the subject in the cosmology section...where I'm moving this thread to...have a read of the Balloon Analogy thread at the top of the forum.

Likes CalcNerd, 1oldman2 and JDamian88
According to actual theories there is no such thing as an edge of the universe.
It was proved quite some years ago (through doppler effect i think) that the universe is expanding, but I'm not really sure about the expansion speed; I'll have to check out.

Edit: didn't notice someone already answered, pardon ^^

Likes russ_watters
KoreanSniper0720 said:
Guys, what do you think is beyond the edge of the universe? There are a lot of theories, and I believe that the universe expands the same speed as light because if it goes any slower, it would meet. I think light interacts with dark matter to form a "boundary" of the universe in form of pure energy. Infinite universe makes no sense because then anything would be possible. BUT what would be beyond that edge?? What do you guys think?
'The Universe'. most used definition of the word is 'everything that exists'.
There cannot be something outside of it by that definition.
The question is similar to 'What happens if we go to North Pole, then continue to go North.'

Likes CalcNerd
KoreanSniper0720 said:
I recommend the link in my signature

Likes CalcNerd and 1oldman2
Thread closed pending moderation.

Edit: several problematic posts have been removed and the thread will remain closed

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What do scientists believe exists beyond the edge of the universe?

Currently, scientists do not have a definite answer to what exists beyond the edge of the universe. However, theories such as the multiverse theory suggest that there may be multiple universes beyond our observable universe.

2. Can we ever reach the edge of the universe?

It is currently not possible for us to reach the edge of the universe. The universe is constantly expanding at a rate faster than the speed of light, making it impossible for us to travel to its edge.

3. Is there an end to the universe?

Scientists do not believe that the universe has an end. The universe is thought to be infinite in size, meaning it has no boundaries or edges.

4. What happens at the edge of the universe?

It is currently unknown what happens at the edge of the universe. Some theories suggest that there may be a barrier or boundary known as the "cosmic horizon" where the observable universe ends and the unknown begins.

5. How do scientists study or observe the edge of the universe?

Scientists study the edge of the universe through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the residual radiation from the Big Bang. They also use telescopes and other instruments to study the behavior and movements of celestial objects at the farthest reaches of the observable universe.