Register to reply

Complete photonic view like the CMBR version

by Simon Malzard
Tags: cmbr, photonic, version, view
Share this thread:
Simon Malzard
Jun6-10, 07:45 AM
P: 59
Ignoring what we know. I was curious as to if anyone had overlayed all of the spectrum's of light on top of each other in a complete photonic view like the CMBR version, only with a much more varied scale, that being the entire light spectrum. And if so what did this produce? I only ask because I was thinking of Olber's shell model that he used in his paradox to decide whether or not the universe was infinite. And if this picture did or didn't produce an infinitely bright view, whether or not this would be sufficient evidence of the universe being infinite or not. Of course taking into account the flaws in his model, and also the time delay for photons of light to reach us since looking in particular at the CMBR, clearly large amounts of these photons are a lot older then those reaching us now.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thermonuclear X-ray bursts on neutron stars set speed record
How can we find tiny particles in exoplanet atmospheres?
Spitzer telescope witnesses asteroid smashup
Mu naught
Jun6-10, 06:32 PM
P: 212
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I think it's generally agreed that the distribution of matter through space is finite, but whether space it's self is infinite is probably open for debate.
Simon Malzard
Jun8-10, 08:15 AM
How can you tell if the distribution of matter throughout space is finite since you can't tell if there is anything beyond the light horizon of our universe, say another preexisting universe that isn't running parallel?

mgb_phys
Jun8-10, 08:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Complete photonic view like the CMBR version

The observable universe is finite (about 90Bn lyr accross) with a finite amount of matter in it.
whats beyond the obsevable universe doesn't matter
Simon Malzard
Jun8-10, 08:43 AM
Well yea, but how do you know that the universe expands with the event horizon and doesn't go beyond it? And therefore there is something, anything, beyond that horizon that is undetectable to us? Saying "what's beyond it doesn't matter" isn't exactly helpful if say it can enter back across to our side of the horizon?
D H
Jun8-10, 08:58 AM
Mentor
P: 15,167
Quote Quote by Simon Malzard View Post
I only ask because I was thinking of Olber's shell model that he used in his paradox to decide whether or not the universe was infinite. And if this picture did or didn't produce an infinitely bright view, whether or not this would be sufficient evidence of the universe being infinite or not.
Olber's paradox implicitly assumes a steady-state universe of uniform density that is not expanding. That the sky is not the temperature of a star is necessary but not sufficient evidence of the Big Bang theory. While the dark sky we see at night is one piece of confirming evidence of the finite age of the universe, it is not conclusive evidence. For example, an infinite universe of infinite age could also have a dark night sky if that infinitely sized/infinitely old universe was expanding or if that universe was not of a uniform density.
Simon Malzard
Jun8-10, 09:04 AM
Ahh ok that makes much more sense. Thanks D H
Chronos
Jun13-10, 05:22 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,446
Olber's paradox remains a powerful argument the universe is observationally finite. It tells us nothing about any unobservable parts - which is pretty unsurprising.

Register to reply