Mechanics Books: Bridging Classical & Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate student who is looking for suggestions on mechanics books that can help them better understand quantum mechanics. One person suggests studying Hamiltonian mechanics and the principle of least action, while another disagrees and suggests trying a different approach. They mention that while studying Hamiltonian mechanics may not be helpful for ordinary quantum mechanics, it is necessary for understanding quantum field theory.
XYZeagle
I'm currently an undergraduate who has just completed a year of physical chemistry. I don't feel like I understand quantum mechanics as well as I could. It's probably because my knowledge of classical mechanics stops at basic Newtonian mechanics. I don't know E&M that well either. I would like suggestions for mechanics books that develop Hamiltonian mechanics or connects classical and quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think those things would help. I suggest you try this instead.

I disagree. I was talking to a colleague just last week who felt it was quite an epiphany to his understanding of QM when he went back and learned Hamiltonian mechanics, principle of least action and so forth.

In 'ordinary' QM I don't think it'd help very much to study Hamiltonian mechanics, action, etc. But for quantum field theory it is absolutely necessary.

I understand your concern about not fully understanding quantum mechanics and wanting to bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics. I would suggest starting with "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, as it provides a solid foundation for understanding the principles of quantum mechanics. Additionally, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor is a great resource for developing a deeper understanding of classical mechanics, including Hamiltonian mechanics. "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson is also a highly recommended book for gaining a better understanding of electromagnetism, which is essential for understanding quantum mechanics. I would also suggest supplementing your reading with online resources, such as lectures and tutorials, to further enhance your understanding. I hope these suggestions help you in your journey to better understand mechanics and bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics.

1. What is the purpose of "Mechanics Books: Bridging Classical & Quantum Mechanics"?

The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles of both classical and quantum mechanics and how they relate to each other. It aims to bridge the gap between these two theories and help readers develop a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is intended for anyone interested in learning about mechanics, from students and researchers in physics and engineering to those with a general interest in the subject. It is suitable for readers with a basic knowledge of calculus and linear algebra.

3. What topics are covered in "Mechanics Books: Bridging Classical & Quantum Mechanics"?

The book covers a range of topics including Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian mechanics, Hamiltonian mechanics, symplectic geometry, quantum mechanics, and the Schrödinger equation. It also delves into more advanced topics such as quantum field theory and the theory of relativity.

4. How is this book different from other mechanics textbooks?

This book differs from other mechanics textbooks in that it focuses on the relationship between classical and quantum mechanics, rather than treating them as separate and unrelated theories. It also includes more advanced topics and modern applications, making it suitable for both introductory and advanced courses.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Readers should have a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra, as well as some knowledge of classical mechanics. Some familiarity with quantum mechanics may also be helpful, but it is not essential as the book covers the necessary concepts in detail.