Center of Gravity, Non-Uniform Bar

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving finding the distance from the right side of a bar to its center of gravity. The information given includes the measurements of angles and length of the bar, as well as the force applied to the bar. The person is stuck on determining the force used by each pole to keep the bar up and is considering using the horizontal forces to solve the problem. The expert suggests that the total horizontal force must equal zero since the bar is in equilibrium, and offers a hint to continue solving the problem.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is a question I need to do, I'm just going to put an example on what the question is like. In case a teacher of mine comes on here, I know I'm not "cheating".

Here is the image:

l\
lz.\.../l
l...\..../xl
l...\______/...l
l...l____q_l...l
l.....l

*Ignore dots.

z=56.2 degrees
x=90-56.2 degrees
q=center of gravity
lenght of bar is 4.3m

Find the distance from the right side of the bar, where the center of gravity is located.

This is all the information they give you. Simliar style, but not the same.

I started with using the Force of the bar as 10N. Easy number.

Then I find the force on the ropes, using trigonometry. I also find the horizontal forces as well.

The part I'm stuck on is how much force is actually used by each pole to keep the bar up.

The total vertical force must equal 10N, or else it won't stay up, or go up.

Do I use the horizontal forces to determine them?

I was thinking of using the difference between the two horizontal forces, and use the ratio to determine how far it is from the center.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use the horozontal forces to solve the problem.
The clue is that, since the bar is in equilibrium, the total horizontal force = zero.
Hence, the horoizontal components of the ropes are equal and in opposite directions.
Work it out from here

I found it now.

I think I did anyways.

Last edited:

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity of an object is the point at which all of its mass can be considered to be concentrated, and where the force of gravity can be said to act.

2. How is the center of gravity determined for a non-uniform bar?

The center of gravity for a non-uniform bar can be determined by dividing the bar into small segments and finding the center of gravity for each segment. The overall center of gravity can then be calculated by taking the weighted average of these individual centers.

3. Why is the center of gravity important for a non-uniform bar?

The center of gravity is important for a non-uniform bar because it affects the stability and balance of the bar. If the center of gravity is not located at the base of the bar, it can cause the bar to topple over.

4. How does the center of gravity change if the bar is tilted?

If the bar is tilted, the center of gravity will shift towards the lower end of the bar. This is because the mass of the bar is distributed unevenly and the lower end will have more mass compared to the higher end.

5. Can the center of gravity be outside of the physical boundaries of the bar?

Yes, the center of gravity can be located outside of the physical boundaries of the bar. This can occur if the bar is shaped in a way that the mass is distributed unevenly, causing the center of gravity to be located at a point outside of the bar.