Finding the center of gravity with torque

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the center of gravity of a loaded meter stick and the relevant equations for calculating torque. The speaker mentions creating a diagram and placing weights at estimated positions since the problem does not specify the endpoints or center of the pole. The conversation concludes by asking about the total torque around the 0cm mark.
ari-anne
Homework Statement
A uniform meter stick of weight 10N is loaded as follows: an 80N weight attached at the 10cm mark, a 30N weight attached at the 20cm mark, a 50N weight attached at the 60cm mark. What is the center of gravity of the loaded meter stick?
Relevant Equations
Torque= force x distance(when perpendicular)
I don't know how to find the center of gravity much less in this problem, so I just created a diagram of the pole with all the forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
ari-anne said:
Homework Statement:: A uniform meter stick of weight 10N is loaded as follows: an 80N weight attached at the 10cm mark, a 30N weight attached at the 20cm mark, a 50N weight attached at the 60cm mark. What is the center of gravity of the loaded meter stick?
Relevant Equations:: Torque= force x distance(when perpendicular)

I don't know how to find the center of gravity much less in this problem, so I just created a diagram of the pole with all the forces.
Then please post your diagram.

Let the centre of mass be at the x cm mark and compute the torques about it.

I placed the weight in where I thought it might go because it doesn't specify in the problem where the end points are or the center of the pole is

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 11.03.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 11.03.17 PM.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 182
ari-anne said:
I placed the weight in where I thought it might go because it doesn't specify in the problem where the end points are or the center of the pole is
Your diagram is fine. Assume the endpoints are at 0cm and 100cm.
What is the total torque around the 0cm mark?

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the point where the force of gravity can be considered to act on the object.

2. Why is finding the center of gravity important?

Finding the center of gravity is important because it allows us to understand how an object will behave under the influence of gravity. It also helps in determining the stability and balance of an object.

3. How do you calculate the center of gravity?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles that make up the object. It can also be determined by using a plumb line or by balancing the object on a pivot point.

4. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point.

5. How is torque used to find the center of gravity?

Torque is used to find the center of gravity by balancing an object on a pivot point and measuring the force and distance from the pivot point on either side. The center of gravity is located at the point where the torque on both sides is equal.