Probability density functions

by jamie516
Tags: probability density
jamie516
Jul16-10, 01:40 PM
P: 17
This could go in the homework section I suppose, but I couldn't follow the guidelines, so I'll try asking it here.

The attached image is a probability distribution for measured fibre angles from a spray up carbon fibre process. This is in a report that I need to explain. To get the probability distributions on the Y axis, would one just add up all the fibres, and divide that total by the number between a given orientation?
Attached Thumbnails
probability distribuitions.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
stewartcs
Jul16-10, 04:04 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by jamie516 View Post
This could go in the homework section I suppose, but I couldn't follow the guidelines, so I'll try asking it here.

The attached image is a probability distribution for measured fibre angles from a spray up carbon fibre process. This is in a report that I need to explain. To get the probability distributions on the Y axis, would one just add up all the fibres, and divide that total by the number between a given orientation?
I'm not sure what you are asking. The data appears to follow a Gaussian Distribution (i.e. Normal Distribution). The way to interpret the graph is like this: For the 6k 115mm fibers, there is a 0.29 probability that the in-plane fiber orientation is approximately 0.0 radians.

CS
jamie516
Jul17-10, 02:40 AM
I'm asking how would generate the probabilities on the Y-axis?

stewartcs
Jul17-10, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283

Probability density functions

Quote Quote by jamie516 View Post
I'm asking how would generate the probabilities on the Y-axis?
Your graph shows the y-axis as "probability" already. So there's nothing to generate.

CS
jamie516
Jul18-10, 03:09 AM
I know it does, what I'm asking is how was it obtained in the first place? Would you just add up the number of fibres between a certain angle and then divide by the total number of fibres? And that gives probability?
brewnog
Jul18-10, 11:38 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
It's generated by looking at all the fibres, putting each one into a category (of orientation), and counting up how many fibres are in each category; then expressing that number as a proportion of the total number of fibres.

This should have been posted in homework help.
jamie516
Jul18-10, 12:19 PM
Yes, that's what I thought, thanks for your help, maybe it can be moved?

Register to reply