Register to reply

Probability density functions

by jamie516
Tags: probability density
Share this thread:
jamie516
Jul16-10, 01:40 PM
P: 17
This could go in the homework section I suppose, but I couldn't follow the guidelines, so I'll try asking it here.

The attached image is a probability distribution for measured fibre angles from a spray up carbon fibre process. This is in a report that I need to explain. To get the probability distributions on the Y axis, would one just add up all the fibres, and divide that total by the number between a given orientation?
Attached Thumbnails
probability distribuitions.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
stewartcs
Jul16-10, 04:04 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by jamie516 View Post
This could go in the homework section I suppose, but I couldn't follow the guidelines, so I'll try asking it here.

The attached image is a probability distribution for measured fibre angles from a spray up carbon fibre process. This is in a report that I need to explain. To get the probability distributions on the Y axis, would one just add up all the fibres, and divide that total by the number between a given orientation?
I'm not sure what you are asking. The data appears to follow a Gaussian Distribution (i.e. Normal Distribution). The way to interpret the graph is like this: For the 6k 115mm fibers, there is a 0.29 probability that the in-plane fiber orientation is approximately 0.0 radians.

CS
jamie516
Jul17-10, 02:40 AM
I'm asking how would generate the probabilities on the Y-axis?

stewartcs
Jul17-10, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Probability density functions

Quote Quote by jamie516 View Post
I'm asking how would generate the probabilities on the Y-axis?
Your graph shows the y-axis as "probability" already. So there's nothing to generate.

CS
jamie516
Jul18-10, 03:09 AM
I know it does, what I'm asking is how was it obtained in the first place? Would you just add up the number of fibres between a certain angle and then divide by the total number of fibres? And that gives probability?
brewnog
Jul18-10, 11:38 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
It's generated by looking at all the fibres, putting each one into a category (of orientation), and counting up how many fibres are in each category; then expressing that number as a proportion of the total number of fibres.

This should have been posted in homework help.
jamie516
Jul18-10, 12:19 PM
Yes, that's what I thought, thanks for your help, maybe it can be moved?

Register to reply