Weight Distribution Across Multiple Support Points (Load on Trailer)

Ahmed
TL;DR Summary
Weight Distribution Across Multiple Support Points
Hi All,

Please note that I am looking for a methodology to calculate load distribution on multiple supports (3 and more)located underneath a heavy object at different spans/locations from the objects CoG, please see below example:
View attachment 336373
I searched here in Physics Forums and found article gave solution on simple 2 points support only.
Could you help me to find that please ?

Thanks,
Ahmed

1701356150114.png

Likes DeBangis21
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Does each wheel or axle have suspension ("sprung")? If not and they are rigidly attached to the rigid frame, do you see an issue with this calculation?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Does each wheel or axle have suspension ("sprung")? If not and they are rigidly attached to the rigid frame, do you see an issue with this calculation?
Hi Berkeman, yes they are on suspension, but I want to know the concept on how to distribute the loads on the saddles to assess the bending moment on the trailer deck (I have the load on each axle line).

Likes berkeman
Is the object more rigid than the trailer ?

You must solve for a distribution of the object's mass, to the individual load-carrying points selected on the trailer deck.

The weight applied to each of the load-points, should sum to the weight of the object.

Consider the point on the trailer deck below the CoG. The moment of the applied load forces, about that point, should sum to zero.

Now you select convenient load points on the trailer deck, then solve the linear system to find the load applied to each.

Likes DeBangis21 and Ahmed
Baluncore said:
Is the object more rigid than the trailer ?

You must solve for a distribution of the object's mass, to the individual load-carrying points selected on the trailer deck.

The weight applied to each of the load-points, should sum to the weight of the object.

Consider the point on the trailer deck below the CoG. The moment of the applied load forces, about that point, should sum to zero.

Now you select convenient load points on the trailer deck, then solve the linear system to find the load applied to each.

Hi Baluncore, The issue is I don't have the option to choose the load points on trailer deck, the horizontal vessel or steel bridge it has their own saddles/support points which I've to deal with it, so i need a calculation to tell me how much load will be transferred from the vessel/bridge to the trailer deck through the saddles/supports based on location of each saddles/supports from the CoG.

Ahmed said:
The issue is I don't have the option to choose the load points on trailer deck, the horizontal vessel or steel bridge it has their own saddles/support points which I've to deal with it, ...
The decision has been made for you, because you have decided to use the available points. That is as expected.
Now you must allocate the total load to those points, with sum zero moment.

Likes DeBangis21
So you need sub-frames etc to spread the point loads more evenly across the trailer bed...

Nik_2213 said:
So you need sub-frames etc to spread the point loads more evenly across the trailer bed...
Adding sub-frames would increase the load mass, and increase the load height. That would reduce stability, and might impose travel route restrictions.

The trailer bed is a truss, with a linear stiffness matrix. The bed is designed to be a sub-frame, placed between the axle suspension points, and the intended loads.

If needed, timber packing between the load-points and the bed, will adjust the load applied at each position along the deck. In many cases, timber will also increase the surface compliance, and the friction coefficient.

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban

What is weight distribution across multiple support points?

Weight distribution across multiple support points refers to how the total weight of a load, such as cargo on a trailer, is spread out over the various points that support it. Proper weight distribution is crucial to maintain stability, prevent damage to the structure, and ensure safe handling during transport.

Why is it important to evenly distribute weight on a trailer?

Evenly distributing weight on a trailer is important for several reasons: it helps maintain the balance of the trailer, prevents overloading of any single axle, enhances the towing vehicle's control and stability, reduces strain on the trailer structure, and minimizes the risk of accidents or tipping over during transportation.

How can you calculate the load distribution on a trailer?

To calculate load distribution on a trailer, you need to know the total weight of the cargo and the number of support points or axles. The weight should be divided as evenly as possible among the support points. Additionally, consider the position of the cargo, aiming to place heavier items closer to the front just behind the towing vehicle for optimal axle weight distribution and towing stability.

What are the consequences of poor weight distribution on a trailer?

Poor weight distribution on a trailer can lead to several issues, including tire blowouts, broken axles, loss of control of the towing vehicle, and increased wear and tear on the trailer. In severe cases, it can cause the trailer to sway excessively or even detach from the towing vehicle, leading to accidents.

What tips can you follow to ensure good weight distribution on a trailer?

To ensure good weight distribution on a trailer, start by placing the heaviest items near the front of the trailer, just behind the tow vehicle. Use a weight distribution system if the trailer weight is significant compared to the tow vehicle's weight. Regularly check the balance and adjust the load as necessary, ensuring that the load does not shift during transit. Finally, verify that the tire pressures are appropriate for the load to help maintain even weight distribution and safe handling.