Tags: coordinates, integral, spherical, triple
Share this thread:
cepheid
Sep15-04, 04:18 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,197
I have a hemispherical surface of radius R with it's base centred on the origin. We are using the convention:

r is the radius i.e. the magnitude of the position vector of a point: its distance from the origin.

theta is the polar angle

phi is the azimuthal angle

I am asked to calculate the integral of the divergence of a given vector field v over this volume (enclosed by the hemisphere).

So far what I have done is to say that a full sphere would be given by the equation:

r = R

What about a hemisphere? It seems to me that the angle theta must be restricted so that points below the x-y plane are not part of the domain. So what are the allowed values of theta? I can't seem to figure out whether it should be -pi/2 < theta < pi/2, or something else? I need to know this to set my bounds of integration for one of the three integrals. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
marlon
Sep15-04, 06:36 AM
P: 4,006
For a hemisphere : r goes from 0 to R
theta goes from : 0 to 90
phi goes from : 0 to 360

Ofcourse, you know that you need to express the angles in radials

regards
marlon

Register to reply