Force field in spherical polar coordinates

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
A certain force field is given to me and I should do the following tasks to find out is it a conservative field or not.
Relevant Equations
pls see below.
Picture of question:
1702943544674.png

Part (a) : ##\nabla \times \vec F = 0## so a Potensial exists. I don't have problem with this part.
Part (b) : what I've done :
1702943893692.png

First experssion is 0 because ##\theta = \dfrac {\pi} {2}##. I don't know how to integrate over ##\theta ## when it is a constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to where you wrote correctly $$d\vec{\lambda} = \hat r dr + r \hat \theta d \theta + r \sin \theta \hat \phi d \phi$$
Simplify this for integrating along the given unit circle.

Likes MatinSAR
The problem doesn't state whether or not the unit circle is centered at the origin of the coordinate system. So, I don't know if you are meant to assume that it is.

Likes MatinSAR
TSny said:
Go back to where you wrote correctly $$d\vec{\lambda} = \hat r dr + r \hat \theta d \theta + r \sin \theta \hat \phi d \phi$$
Simplify this for integrating along the given unit circle.
Is it the only way? I haven't done this before and I cannot understand what you mean ...
TSny said:
The problem doesn't state whether or not the unit circle is centered at the origin of the coordinate system. So, I don't know if you are meant to assume that it is.
I guess I don't want to assume that. According to the book final answer should be 0.

1702945890697.png

MatinSAR said:
Is it the only way? I haven't done this before and I cannot understand what you mean ...

I guess I don't want to assume that. According to the book final answer should be 0.
Let's assume the unit circle is centered at the origin. For ##d\vec{\lambda}## along this circle, what can you say about the values of ##r##, ##dr##, ##d\theta## and ##\sin \theta##?

Thus, what does ##d\vec{\lambda}## simplify to?

Likes MatinSAR
TSny said:
Let's assume the unit circle is centered at the origin. For ##d\vec{\lambda}## along this circle, what can you say about the values of ##r##, ##dr##, ##d\theta## and ##\sin \theta##?

Thus, what does ##d\vec{\lambda}## simplify to?
I have checked my book again yet I could not find sth similar to this. I guess:
##r=1##
##\sin \theta=1##
##dr=dr##
##d \theta= 0##

If I'm right the second expression should be 0 to and I will get 0 as final answer.

MatinSAR said:
I have checked my book again yet I could not find sth similar to this. I guess:
##r=1##
##\sin \theta=1##
##dr=dr##
##d \theta= 0##
OK, these look right. But you should be able to say more about ##dr##. Then you should be able to simplify the expression for ##d \vec \lambda## to a very simple result (which should make sense intuitively).

Then you can go on to think about the expression ##\vec F \cdot d\vec \lambda##

Likes PhDeezNutz and MatinSAR
TSny said:
OK, these look right. But you should be able to say more about ##dr##. Then you should be able to simplify the expression for ##d \vec \lambda## to a very simple result (which should make sense intuitively).

Then you can go on to think about the expression ##\vec F \cdot d\vec \lambda##
Sorry for taking your time ... Should ##dr## be 0 for the circle?

Can't I answer without ##dr##? The first expression was zero and ##dr## doesn't change anything.

MatinSAR said:
Sorry for taking your time ... Should ##dr## be 0 for the circle?
MatinSAR said:
Homework Statement: A certain force field is given to me and I should do the following tasks to find out is it a conservative field or not.
Relevant Equations: pls see below.

Picture of question:
View attachment 337396
Part (a) : ##\nabla \times \vec F = 0## so a Potensial exists. I don't have problem with this part.
Part (b) : what I've done :
View attachment 337397
First experssion is 0 because ##\theta = \dfrac {\pi} {2}##. I don't know how to integrate over ##\theta ## when it is a constant.
Is this from a published source?? If so, please identify.

Likes MatinSAR
hutchphd said:
Is this from a published source?? If so, please identify.
Yes.
This book is Arfken mathematical methods for physicists.

MatinSAR said:
Should dr be 0 for the circle?
You tell us. What is the definition of dr?

Likes MatinSAR
Orodruin said:
You tell us. What is the definition of dr?
Radial spacing element If I have translated correctly.
Actually translating it to english is harder than its explanation for me.

MatinSAR said:
Radial spacing element If I have translated correctly.
Actually translating it to english is harder than its explanation for me.
So how does radius change along the circle if r=1?

Likes MatinSAR
Orodruin said:
So how does radius change along the circle if r=1?
It doesn't change since radius is constant for a circle.

Do you have access to Griffiths? Chapter 3.4.4. This field looks a lot like a dipole pointing in the z-direction. Just sayin’

That should answer part C.

Edit: A lot of dipole questions this week.

Likes MatinSAR
PhDeezNutz said:
Do you have access to Griffiths? Chapter 3.4.4. This field looks a lot like a dipole pointing in the z-direction. Just sayin’

That should answer part C.
Yes. I will check. Thanks.

For part B can’t you use part A……via Stokes Theorem. Although I do think it is instructive to do the line integral directly.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
It doesn't change since radius is constant for a circle.
And therefore dr is …

Likes MatinSAR
PhDeezNutz said:
For part B can’t you use part A……via Stokes Theorem. Although I do think it is instructive to do the line integral directly.
Good idea!
Orodruin said:
And therefore dr is …
0 i think.

Likes PhDeezNutz
MatinSAR said:
0 i think.
Indeed.

You can also just use the parametrization ##\varphi = t## along with ##r=1## and ##\theta =\pi/2##. By definition
$$
dr = \frac{dr}{dt} dt
$$
and it should be pretty clear that ##dr/dt = 0##.

Likes PhDeezNutz and MatinSAR
Likes PhDeezNutz

What is a force field in spherical polar coordinates?

A force field in spherical polar coordinates is a mathematical representation of a vector field that describes the force acting on a particle at any given point in space. It is commonly used in physics to study the interactions between objects in three-dimensional space.

How is a force field expressed in spherical polar coordinates?

In spherical polar coordinates, a force field is typically expressed as a function of the radial distance (r), polar angle (θ), and azimuthal angle (φ). The force field is represented as a vector field with components that depend on these coordinates.

What is the significance of spherical polar coordinates in studying force fields?

Spherical polar coordinates are particularly useful for studying force fields in systems with spherical symmetry, such as planets, stars, or charged particles. By using spherical polar coordinates, we can simplify the mathematical representation of the force field and make calculations more manageable.

How do we calculate the magnitude and direction of a force field in spherical polar coordinates?

To calculate the magnitude and direction of a force field in spherical polar coordinates, we typically use the gradient operator to find the components of the force field. By taking the partial derivatives of the force field function with respect to the spherical coordinates, we can determine the magnitude and direction of the force at any point in space.

Can force fields in spherical polar coordinates be used in practical applications?

Yes, force fields in spherical polar coordinates are commonly used in various practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. They allow us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space, making them a valuable tool for understanding complex systems.