Register to reply

Can psychics really see the past/future?

by marysol2103
Tags: past or future, psychics
Share this thread:
marysol2103
Sep19-04, 01:25 AM
P: 1
Iím sure everyone has seen the signs for ď$5 Psychic ReadingsĒ in their town or while traveling elsewhere. What I wanted to discuss here were your thoughts on using psychics for more than just personal entertainment, more specifically in police and detective work.

Thereís been documented cases in the past where police havenít been able to solve a crime, at which point they turn to a psychic for help. What I find the most interesting is when the psychics they hire actually solve the case.

What are your thoughts on this? What about using psychics to help solve some of the current investigations (such as the Peterson or Hacking trials?)

Iím not an expert myself on the topic, but Iíve been learning a bit more from a new show on Court TV called Psychic Detectives. Itís on Wednesdayís at 9:30pm in case you want to watch it too.

~ Marysol
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Chronos
Sep19-04, 01:42 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,452
Mary, all the real tests say this is phony. Please stay around and listen to all the people who can explain it better than I. Any real phenomenon requires energy and mass to make things happen. Watch here and learn. There are many nice people who can help. You came to the right place.
JV
Sep19-04, 09:16 AM
P: 23
Right, the psychics are frauds. They are however often smart. They are usually good listeners, and can help the police look at the evidents from a different perspective.

But this does not seem to be a topic for this category

daveed
Sep19-04, 09:20 AM
P: 142
Can psychics really see the past/future?

did miss cleo forsee her being arrested?
=P
turbo
Sep19-04, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by daveed
did miss cleo forsee her being arrested?
=P
Why didn't the psychic network warn us of the 9/11 attack? Certainly, that horrific traumatizing event would have had all "real" psychics screaming. Case closed.
geometer
Sep19-04, 02:41 PM
P: 196
Try this idea out. People have all kinds of talents. Some are good at mathematics, some are good at music. I think there are some people who are good at looking current events and extrapolating from them the most probable future. There is nothing magical, or strange here - just a subconcious assessment of the probabilities of various outcomes.
Ivan Seeking
Sep19-04, 05:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Hi Marysol,

I don't believe in "psychics", esp TV psychics, but I think psychic things may happen. One day these "psychic events" may be explained and given a scientific name. Then we will all agree that there is not and never was such a thing as a psychic event.

In other words, "psychic" implies "magic". Consider that pheromones may in fact explain some of this stuff. And who knows, maybe quantum mechanics will produce other mechanisms for information transfer between two minds; or even a mind and some distant or future event. Also, consider one recent experiment that reportedly shows that people can tell when they are being watched. We do seem to find hints at something real. Your example of police investigations I think is a very good one.

I have seen and read some very compelling "official" police files and reports, and interviews with investigators that definitely imply something real is happening. Still, debunkers will always insists that a psychic event is magic; and there is no such thing as magic. But this is a self fulfilling prophecy. We may find good scientific reasons for peoples experiences that for now only seem like magic; that we call psychic. I think it is painfully obvious that if real, most of these alleged events cannot be produced on demand for science. So I say keep and open mind but not so much that your brains fall out.
Tom McCurdy
Sep19-04, 08:09 PM
P: 1,113
Quote Quote by marysol2103
Iím sure everyone has seen the signs for ď$5 Psychic ReadingsĒ in their town or while traveling elsewhere. What I wanted to discuss here were your thoughts on using psychics for more than just personal entertainment, more specifically in police and detective work.

Thereís been documented cases in the past where police havenít been able to solve a crime, at which point they turn to a psychic for help. What I find the most interesting is when the psychics they hire actually solve the case.

What are your thoughts on this? What about using psychics to help solve some of the current investigations (such as the Peterson or Hacking trials?)

Iím not an expert myself on the topic, but Iíve been learning a bit more from a new show on Court TV called Psychic Detectives. Itís on Wednesdayís at 9:30pm in case you want to watch it too.

~ Marysol
Psychics don't exist
Moonbear
Sep19-04, 08:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
I think psychics are just very talented at observing human behavior. They use subtle cues in the tones of your voice, your posture, your speech pattern, your mannerisms, etc., to guess at what you're thinking. The psychics you find out for entertainment and such start off with some leading questions, not really telling you anything, just getting a feel for how you react until you start to lead them in the right direction of what you want to hear. This same skill at observing human behavior can also help them predict things about how criminals operate. They probably have a knack for criminal profiling and understanding how other people think to help guess at what they've done.
Kerrie
Sep19-04, 10:10 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
i think the term "psychic" is just a fancy word for intuition. take for example, yesterday my husband and i were driving down a busy street to get the grocery store...i remembered a friend telling me he had an accident in the exact spot we were passing through, and then i became a little panicked...i kept saying to my husband who was driving to slow down through all this chaos (he's got a bit of a lead foot)...suddenly, a van pulls in front of us and my husband has to literally slam on the breaks to not hit the van, which left some tire tracks on the road. do you call that being psychic, or just a good intuition?
selfAdjoint
Sep19-04, 10:22 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I think psychics are just very talented at observing human behavior. They use subtle cues in the tones of your voice, your posture, your speech pattern, your mannerisms, etc., to guess at what you're thinking. The psychics you find out for entertainment and such start off with some leading questions, not really telling you anything, just getting a feel for how you react until you start to lead them in the right direction of what you want to hear. This same skill at observing human behavior can also help them predict things about how criminals operate. They probably have a knack for criminal profiling and understanding how other people think to help guess at what they've done.
People can be trained to do it. Look up "cold reading".
Overdose
Sep19-04, 11:35 PM
P: 186
Yes you can see the into the future and its well documented, someone mentioned no one foreseeing the 9/11 attacks, well infact many people did, and one man in england even went so far as to paint a picture of the planes hitting the twin towers, and to get the picture dated and verifed at his local bank, and put in storage (to proove that there was no cheating involved).
The guy actually did this on a regular basis and had many premonitions which came to pass; so i learnt from an interesting documentry a year or so ago...
radagast
Sep21-04, 11:00 AM
P: 460
Quote Quote by Overdose
Yes you can see the into the future and its well documented, someone mentioned no one foreseeing the 9/11 attacks, well infact many people did, and one man in england even went so far as to paint a picture of the planes hitting the twin towers, and to get the picture dated and verifed at his local bank, and put in storage (to proove that there was no cheating involved).
The guy actually did this on a regular basis and had many premonitions which came to pass; so i learnt from an interesting documentry a year or so ago...
Can you provide a source of documentation for this?
Locrian
Sep23-04, 08:26 AM
P: 1,745
It would seem safe to say that he cannot.
Overdose
Sep24-04, 01:30 PM
His name is David Mandell, theres unfortunately not much information about him on the web, although i did find the following links...
http://www.trioptimum.co.uk/archives/000262.html
http://www.geocities.com/hairybobby2...ammandell.html
Overdose
Sep24-04, 01:35 PM
Quote Quote by Chronos
Mary, all the real tests say this is phony. Please stay around and listen to all the people who can explain it better than I. Any real phenomenon requires energy and mass to make things happen. Watch here and learn. There are many nice people who can help. You came to the right place.
Not so atall, this is either disinformation or someone whos just misinformed, theres plenty of compelling evidence for psychic Phenomena being done by reputable people who conform to the most stringent guidelines.
Locrian
Sep24-04, 02:18 PM
P: 1,745
Quote Quote by Overdose
Yes you can see the into the future and its well documented
And on the web link,

The bottom line was inconclusive: there was no strong evidence that the manís gifts were real and not imaginary, but there was also no success in uncovering a deliberate hoax or a falsehood.
Your definition of well documented is aparently more lenient than mine. Much, much more lenient. There is no evidence this person saw this specific event prior to its occurence; descriptions of his painting make it abundantly clear that he captured none of the particular details.
Chronos
Sep24-04, 03:50 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,452
Quote Quote by Overdose
Not so atall, this is either disinformation or someone whos just misinformed, theres plenty of compelling evidence for psychic Phenomena being done by reputable people who conform to the most stringent guidelines.
That would explain why James Randi still has that $1,000,000 in escrow.

Register to reply