Evidence for psychic phenomena

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of psychic phenomena and the best evidence to support its existence. One person argues that there is evidence, particularly in the form of police reports, while another argues that these cases can be explained by the mind's ability to put together information and make predictions. The conversation also brings up the idea that evidence does not necessarily equal proof and that there may be alternative theories to explain these phenomena. Overall, the conversation highlights the ongoing debate surrounding the existence of psychic abilities and the need for further research and evidence.
nismaratwork said:
...And FlexGunship just finished explaining why and how that statement is false.
Im afraid not. As i explained earlier:

There is a gigantic amount of ESP studies with positive results. No matter how sloppy these studies have been done, you cannot claim that they are an accumulation of evidence for the non-existence of ESP.

Physics news on Phys.org
nismaratwork said:
HA!

.. do you think someone wouldn't snap up Randi's 1mil USD? ..

Do you suppose though, that is someone indeed had psychic ability, that they would rush to prove it to Randi, with all the associated publicity and all ?

I would think that's the last thing they'd do if they had a brain.

alt said:
Do you suppose though, that is someone indeed had psychic ability, that they would rush to prove it to Randi, with all the associated publicity and all ?

I would think that's the last thing they'd do if they had a brain.

Already had this discussion, in this thread...

pftest said:
Im afraid not. As i explained earlier:

Well, yes... you SAID that, but unless you can prove it you've got nothing. Flex explained why those results are NOT indicative of ESP.

nismaratwork said:
Well, yes... you SAID that, but unless you can prove it you've got nothing. Flex explained why those results are NOT indicative of ESP.
I did prove it immediately, see my ganzfeld quotes. This is all in response to your view that sensory deprivation tests have been "done to death" and do not produce positive results. Quite the opposite is true.

pftest: To your point about MRIs... yeah, that's my POINT. If you could demonstrate a psychic talent, the means to see WHATEVER is happening in terms of blood-flow to given regions. That... doesn't... happen. In fact, if you put someone who TRULY believes they're psychic, much as someone suffering from 'Hysterical Blindness' is convinced of their inability to see... you see a BIG difference:

-The person who can see, but doesn't KNOW it:
1.) We see reactions in the brain up to the point of CONSCIOUS visual processing, but we can see that the person is unconsciously processing visual data.
2.) They don't lie about what they're seeing or not.

-The person who claims to be psychic:
1.) Just looks like someone telling a story if they really believe it.
2.) Partial Complex Seizures or other abnormalities: their 'psychic' power is just aura.
3.) NOTHING.
I don't know what the experiment is that you are describing here, but i do know that there also many brainscan ESP experiments with positive results.

pftest said:
I did prove it immediately, see my ganzfeld quotes. This is all in response to your view that sensory deprivation tests have been "done to death" and do not produce positive results. Quite the opposite is true.

I don't know what the experiment is that you are describing here, but i do know that there also many brainscan ESP experiments with positive results.

That isn't proof, nor is it a valid citation in this context. You might as well tell me that the bible is true by quoting a bible. I'm going to wait for flex... other threads have me annoyed, and I find I'm no good to myself or others in threads such as this at times such as this.

pftest said:

MRI scans and imaging do not prove ESP. They just indicate the brain is processing information either from stimuli or that there is a thought process in processing information.
In other words different parts of the brain are involved for different type of thought process or sensory or stimuli processing.

thorium1010 said:
MRI scans and imaging do not prove ESP. They just indicate the brain is processing information either from stimuli or that there is a thought process in processing information.
In other words different parts of the brain are involved for different type of thought process or sensory or stimuli processing.

He knows all of this by his own admission, but apparently chooses to ignore the fact. I think this little bird came here for a reason, perhaps explaining his name.

thorium1010 said:
The "proof" here is in the context of me proving that ganzfeld tests have been done with positive results. I wasnt being ask to prove ESP or produce reliable peer reviewed evidence, just like i wasnt being asked to prove that extra terrestrial UFOs visit earth.

As for the brainscan ESP tests i mentioned, they were about pairs of people that were sensory isolated from each other, yet when one of them was visually stimulated, the other was found to have correlated neural activity.

nismaratwork said:
He knows all of this by his own admission, but apparently chooses to ignore the fact.
ESP cannot be visible on fMRI, because even normal experiences arent visible on fMRI. I pointed this out to you earlier when you were talking about ESP "mysteriously evading confirmation in a world of fMRIs and other imaging techniques". You might as well have said that watching television and smelling onions "mysteriously evades...".

pftest said:
ESP cannot be visible on fMRI, because even normal experiences arent visible on fMRI. I pointed this out to you earlier when you were talking about ESP "mysteriously evading confirmation in a world of fMRIs and other imaging techniques". You might as well have said that watching television and smelling onions "mysteriously evades...".

This isn't the place to argue for your personal beliefs in the supernatural, unless you can provide scientific evidence for that belief. You seem not to understand what the standard of evidence, or burden of proof is. I strongly recommend that you re-read the agreement you made when signing up for this site; maybe another one is for you.

That is, unless you have some shred of evidence that, "ESP cannot be visible on fMRI", and then... "normal experiences aren't visible on fMRI"... are you on drugs? What is it that you think a FUNCTIONAL MRI is and does?! You're measuring blood flow to specific regions of the brain during a number of NORMAL (whatever that is) events. You also seem to have some notion of what ESP is, and THAT it is... again... proof?

As for the brainscan ESP tests i mentioned, they were about pairs of people that were sensory isolated from each other, yet when one of them was visually stimulated, the other was found to have correlated neural activity
correlation of what kind of neural activity. No mainstream research would accept this as positive result for sensory perception. Also there is a matter of coincidence ? sample size ? mainstream article?

pftest said:

The fact that it is that it cannot be visible on fmri is that it does not exist. Now if we cannot measure or cannot repeAT THE SAME EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS makes it unlikely to exist. Positive results can have a number of explanations.

nismaratwork said:
This isn't the place to argue for your personal beliefs in the supernatural, unless you can provide scientific evidence for that belief. You seem not to understand what the standard of evidence, or burden of proof is. I strongly recommend that you re-read the agreement you made when signing up for this site; maybe another one is for you.

That is, unless you have some shred of evidence that, "ESP cannot be visible on fMRI", and then... "normal experiences aren't visible on fMRI"... are you on drugs? What is it that you think a FUNCTIONAL MRI is and does?! You're measuring blood flow to specific regions of the brain during a number of NORMAL (whatever that is) events. You also seem to have some notion of what ESP is, and THAT it is... again... proof?
fMRI measures the brain, not experiences. Experiences are only known subjectively. Even if we were to accept the idea that brainactivity equals consciousness (which is a metaphysical assumption), fMRI still does not visualise experiences or let you experience what the scanned person experiences.

thorium1010 said:
The fact that it is that it cannot be visible on fmri is that it does not exist. Now if we cannot measure or cannot repeAT THE SAME EXPERIMENTAL RESULTS makes it unlikely to exist. Positive results can have a number of explanations.
If "not visible on fMRI = non-existent", then that would mean consciousness does not exist, which is the end of empiricism and thereby all knowledge gained through science. It also means elementary particles do not exist (they also do not show up in fMRI scans).

pftest said:
If "not visible on fMRI = non-existent", then that would mean consciousness does not exist, which is the end of empiricism and thereby all knowledge gained through science. It also means elementary particles do not exist (they also do not show up in fMRI scans).

You are twisting the argument . Don't mix up consciousness with ESP. ESP is a perception and it should produce like other stimuli like visual perception produces a signal on Fmri. Again you fail show any credible evidence for ESP ( which in my opinion is hyped up). Dont argue about consciousness - show evidence for ESP.

thorium1010 said:
You are twisting the argument . Don't mix up consciousness with ESP. ESP is a perception and it should produce like other stimuli like visual perception produces a signal on Fmri.
fMRI only shows brainactivity. If ESP happens, then fMRI still will only show brainactivity. As Andrew Newberg once put it: "it levels the playing field". Whether you are seeing a dog, a purple unicorn or god himself, the fMRI will only show the brainactivity.

Again you fail show any credible evidence for ESP ( which in my opinion is hyped up). Dont argue about consciousness - show evidence for ESP.
You have also once again failed to show credible evidence for ESP.

pftest said:
<snip> [says ridiculous things] <snip>

I edited your post in my reply because... why not? On a weekday, you'd be gone already. You keep talking about what people "see", and needing to see what they see... BULL... ****.

Somehow I don't think psychic powers would be centered in the visual centers of the brain; already well mapped. You would see, during these psychic events, blood feeding the regions of the brain involved in the activity of "ESP" and processing that sensory input. It's... thinking... like yours which allowed our government to waste SOOOO much money on "remote viewing". Preach your faith elsewhere please.

I will be back later to clean this up.