Register to reply

Does anyone know when the LHC will be open to the public again?

by James1991
Tags: public
Share this thread:
James1991
Nov6-10, 03:57 PM
P: 11
I am hoping to visit CERN at some point, but the underground areas are closed off at the moment. So just wondering if anyone knows when it's open to the public again

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Dr Lots-o'watts
Nov6-10, 05:06 PM
P: 674
I guess if anyone knows, it should be them:
http://outreach.web.cern.ch/outreach...cts/index.html
fss
Nov6-10, 05:37 PM
P: 1,185
Not until the upgrade in 10 years or so, probably.

Jimmy Snyder
Nov6-10, 05:41 PM
P: 2,179
Does anyone know when the LHC will be open to the public again?

Will the visitors get free souvenir hadrons?
waht
Nov6-10, 06:48 PM
P: 1,636
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Will the visitors get free souvenir hadrons?
Yes, the receptionist is very charming.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov6-10, 07:01 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by waht View Post
Yes, the receptionist is very charming.
Terrific. Perhaps I'll bump into you there.
waht
Nov6-10, 08:02 PM
P: 1,636
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Terrific. Perhaps I'll bump into you there.
Or the anti-me.
Vanadium 50
Nov7-10, 07:18 AM
Mentor
P: 16,186
Again? I doubt very much that the LHC tunnel was ever open to the general public. There are electrical hazards, cryogenic hazards, oxygen deficiency hazards and now that the machine has been operating, radiation hazards. As if that weren't enough, yhere are areas where millions of dollars of damage could be caused by a careless visitor.
rhody
Nov7-10, 08:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
yhere are areas where millions of dollars of damage could be caused by a careless visitor.
Well this is a first, you may want to correct the typo "yhere", this could be mistaken for Pirate English, and no one would want to mistake you for a pirate... lol

Rhody...
Vanadium 50
Nov7-10, 09:49 AM
Mentor
P: 16,186
Shiver me timbers, matey!
G01
Nov7-10, 12:20 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Don't forget about all the blackholes down there now that the LHC has been running.

If a tourist happened to fall into one of those, the legal problems would be phenomenal! Of course, since it's a black hole, there wouldn't be any evidence left of the tourist falling in there. (And there are many other black holes for any witnesses... Man, those guys at CERN are in deep.)
Office_Shredder
Nov7-10, 12:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
If you type 342292850771 in the keypad, it's open to the public right now
Jack21222
Nov7-10, 12:48 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Well this is a first, you may want to correct the typo "yhere", this could be mistaken for Pirate English, and no one would want to mistake you for a pirate... lol

Rhody...
That's not the worst typo you can make when talking about the large hadron collider.
rhody
Nov7-10, 02:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
That's not the worst typo you can make when talking about the large hadron collider.
Jack,

Amen, and then some, being anal retentive about everything technical with inner workings of the LHC would be grossly "understating" the level of attention to detail required to keep it running safe...

I was just having a bit of fun with v_50, he is a pithy guy. Up to now have never seen him make a mistake with spelling. We should cut him some slack, I worked 52 hours last week, did little posting on PF because I was so fried learning a new intense skill at work.

Rhody...
Jack21222
Nov7-10, 03:39 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Jack,

Amen, and then some, being anal retentive about everything technical with inner workings of the LHC would be grossly "understating" the level of attention to detail required to keep it running safe...

I was just having a bit of fun with v_50, he is a pithy guy. Up to now have never seen him make a mistake with spelling. We should cut him some slack, I worked 52 hours last week, did little posting on PF because I was so fried learning a new intense skill at work.

Rhody...
My point was, at least he didn't do this:

Blenton
Nov8-10, 06:54 AM
P: 193
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
Again? I doubt very much that the LHC tunnel was ever open to the general public. There are electrical hazards, cryogenic hazards, oxygen deficiency hazards and now that the machine has been operating, radiation hazards. As if that weren't enough, yhere are areas where millions of dollars of damage could be caused by a careless visitor.
Visiting any other facility doesn't put one right into the inner workings. I'm sure there must be observation rooms, guideways and guides to keep people running off and fiddling around with the superconducting supercollider!

Register to reply