Looking For (Academic) References About How the LHC Works

In summary, the conversation was about a person who is writing a paper on particle accelerators and the search for the Higgs Boson. They are specifically looking for references on how the Large Hadron Collider works. Some suggested sources include CERN and their design report, which is available as a book or online.
ChaosLokoInc
I'm currently writing a paper for a small class called "Contemporary Physics" and I am writing about particle accelerators and the search for the Higgs Boson. I have a fairly good idea about how the Large Hadron Collider works, but I cannot use my own explanation alone as I need references to cite. Can anyone suggest to me some good (preferably academic) references on how the LHC works?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CLI, welcome to PF :smile: !

CERN itself is unsurpassed in explanatory info.

There's a few other promising results when you Google "cern lhc how it works".

LHC design report:
part 1
shttp://cds.cern.ch/record/815187
part 3
They are also available as books, but page numbers can differ so be careful what you cite.

1. How does the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) work?

The LHC is a particle accelerator that uses powerful magnets to accelerate protons or lead ions to almost the speed of light. These particles are then collided together, allowing scientists to study the resulting debris and learn more about the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. What is the purpose of the LHC?

The LHC is used to study the properties and behavior of subatomic particles, such as quarks and gluons, in order to further our understanding of the universe. It also allows scientists to test theories, such as the Standard Model, and search for new particles, such as the Higgs boson.

3. How is the LHC different from other particle accelerators?

The LHC is the largest and most powerful particle accelerator in the world, with a circumference of 27 kilometers and the ability to reach energies of up to 13 TeV (teraelectronvolts). It also uses superconducting magnets and operates at colder temperatures than other accelerators, allowing for more precise control and higher energy levels.

4. What safety measures are in place for the LHC?

The LHC is designed with multiple safety features, including a system that automatically stops the beam in case of any malfunction. It also undergoes regular safety inspections and has an international panel of experts who continuously monitor its operations. Extensive risk assessments have also been conducted, with no significant hazards found.

5. How do scientists collect and analyze data from the LHC?

Data from the LHC is collected by four main detectors: ATLAS, CMS, LHCb, and ALICE. These detectors record and analyze the particles produced by the collisions, allowing scientists to reconstruct events and search for new particles. The data is then analyzed using powerful computers and specialized software to help understand the results.