Photo Contest (11/20-11/26) - Fallin' For You

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Fallin' For You" and allows for multiple photo submissions. The winner will be chosen by judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. Once a photo is submitted, it cannot be edited. The prize for the winner is $500 and their photo will be featured on the organization's website and social media.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Fallin' for You

{Administrative note: Due to a family emergency, I will be gone I won't be running this contest for the next 2 weeks. Evo has graciously agreed to run this during my absence}

Our theme this week will be on the season of Fall or Autumn. It is certainly that time of the year for those of us in the higher latitude of the northern hemisphere. Snap the best picture that shows this colorful season.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two years old, but still nice.

winobluszcz.jpg

This year weather was not cooperating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I think I remember that pic, indeed I have to duck in the archives for some nice autumn colors.

Like Borek, I had uncooperative weather this year (drought almost all summer), so this was taken last fall from a local lookout overlooking the Kennebec valley.

201lookout.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/7683/photoll.jpg

Fallin_for_You2.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4196/dsc2304z.jpg

5200665550_e4bc9e4819.jpg

Delaware River (Kittatinny)

Lovely photos!

Marzena pointed to me that I have used almost identical picture (taken the same year, just in different place) in other fall contest. In fact she was sure I am reusing the picture, so I checked - and no, it is not the same, but she was very close.

Marzena has a great memory!

I cannot find one photo suitable to the subject matter. I'm chagrined.

Talking about memories, see my previous post.

This one I also remember taking in 2005, long before the Panasonic/Canon era. But if the subject is there craving to be photographed, who cares. I also remember that I posted another one in this sequence around that time, which was designated as my "back yard" by Wolram. The Schwabische Alp near Albstadt, Germany

2j0xhfl.jpg

Last edited:
Andy Resnick said:
[PLAIN]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4196/dsc2304z.jpg[/QUOTE]What is that?

Voting thread will be up tomorrow because I'm having internet trouble, so last chance to get a photo in!

Evo said:
What is that?

Marzena asked exactly the same question. I got it on my own, but I agree it isn't obvious at the first sight.

I'd thought it was some sort of autumnal fruit. Nevertheless, I think it is a stunning photo. It looks as glossy as a highly varnished oil painting.

Freshly out of the shell they are lovely in look and touch.

Is it too late to submit? :shy: I want to post this anyway. :biggrin::tongue2:

sc9gnp.jpg

Well I like the colours tho it looks better when it's bigger but I expect they all do.

Evo said:
What is that?

A (fresh) buckeye. As it happens, I took the photo on the Autumnal Equinox, so there's another tie-in.

fuzzyfelt said:
I'd thought it was some sort of autumnal fruit. Nevertheless, I think it is a stunning photo. It looks as glossy as a highly varnished oil painting.

Thanks! I'm pleased with it, too :)

Anyway, we call them "Kastanjes" and they played a central role in our autumn experience from toddler to adolescent.

In Polish "kasztan". And the tree is "kasztanowiec". To make things more complicated in Polish "kasztan" means also chestnut. But we have no problems, as in general there are no chestnuts in Poland.

Edit:
Andre said:
Anyway, we call them "Kastanjes" and they played a central role in our autumn experience from toddler to adolescent.

Obviously it is the same word.

All your "kasztanowiec" are belong to us. :biggrin:

Andre said:

In the UK too but it is rather a thing of the past as we are now fully protected from ourselves by Health and Safety Regulations so a game of conkers is almost as difficult to arrange as one of bear-baiting; I imagine NL would be in like case?

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Fallin' For You", which means the photo should capture the essence of the fall season, such as vibrant colors, cozy moments, and the beauty of nature during this time of year.

2. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, participants are allowed to submit multiple photos for the photo contest. However, each photo must be submitted separately and should adhere to the contest rules and guidelines.

3. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of the photo. The decision of the judges will be final.

4. Can I edit my photo after submitting it?

No, once a photo is submitted, it cannot be edited. Therefore, make sure to carefully select and edit your photo before submitting it for the contest.

5. Is there a prize for the winner of the photo contest?

Yes, the winner of the photo contest will receive a cash prize of $500 and their photo will be featured on our website and social media platforms.