How fast does the balloon accelerate upwards?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of launching a large helium weather balloon with a radius of 3.0 m and a total mass of 17.5 kg. The initial upward acceleration of the balloon is calculated and the terminal velocity is also determined using the Archimedes principle and the formula for drag force. The concept of drag force being equal to buoyant force minus weight is also mentioned.
osker246

Homework Statement

your team is in charge of launching a large helium weather balloon that is spherical in shape, and whose radius is 3.0 m and total mass is 17.5 kg (balloon plus helium plus equipment).

(a) What is the initial upward acceleration of the balloon when it is released from sea level?
(b) If the drag force on the balloon is given by the equation below, where r is the balloon radius, ρ is the density of air, and v is the balloon's ascension speed, calculate the terminal velocity of the ascending balloon.

Homework Equations

V=(4/3)Pi*r3
F=ma
density of air = 1.29 Kg/m^3
density of He = 0.1785 Kg/m^3
g= 9.81 N/Kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to do this online homwork and the first hint they give is to draw a FB diagram of the three forces acting on object. From what I think i know the 3 forces are...

Fair pushing up on balloon + FBuoyancy balloon -Wballoon=ma

is this correct?

If so I know the Weight=mg, so that's done. But I am not too positive about Fair pushing up on balloon + FBuoyancy balloon. Now does Fair pushing up on balloon= Vballoon*densityair*g? Also assuming the volume of the sphere is completely filled with helium, does FBuoyancy balloon=VHe*DensityHe*g?

If somebody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I am not quite sure if I know what I am doing here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Archimedes principle: when a body(balloon in this case) is submerged in a fluid (air in this case) the fluid exerts an upward force on the body equals to the weight of the fluid displaced by the body.

try understanding the Archimedes principle and work towards it.

Hi yinx,

Thanks for the reply, I did a little more studying on archimedes principle and the concept does make more sense. So I was able to figure out the answer to part a. Turns out the formula was Fb-Wb=ma, where Fb=rhoair*V*g. The answer ended up being 72 m/s^2.

I also forgot to include an equation that was given for part B. Fd=(1/2)(pi^2)(rho)V^2.

So from what I can tell the third force is drag force. So now the drag force would be pushing down on the balloon right? So Fd=Fb - Wb - ma? So from the solved value of drag force I can use the equation provided above to solve for the accent velocity? This is the only way I can think of yet I get a answer no where close to the correct answer. Any ideas?

Ok, so I figured out my mistake I forgot to incorporate r^2 Fd=(1/2)(pi^2)(rho)V^2. But one thing I don't understand from what I read online from a forum is drag force is buoyant force - Weight. I don't understand this and my textbook mentions nothing of this. Does anybody know of some resources that could explain this?

I can say that the initial upward acceleration of the balloon can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the balloon, m is its mass, and a is the acceleration. The net force can be found by subtracting the weight of the balloon from the sum of the buoyant force and the force of air resistance. This can be represented as follows:
a=(FBuoyancy-Fair-Wballoon)/m

To calculate the terminal velocity of the ascending balloon, we can use the equation for drag force, F=1/2*ρ*v^2*Cd*A, where ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the balloon, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the balloon. We can set this equal to the weight of the balloon (mg) and solve for v. This will give us the velocity at which the drag force will balance the weight of the balloon, resulting in a constant velocity or terminal velocity.
v=sqrt(2mg/(ρ*Cd*A))

It is important to note that Cd and A will vary depending on the shape and size of the balloon, as well as the properties of the surrounding air. Therefore, to get a more accurate value for the terminal velocity, we would need to know the specific values for these variables.

In conclusion, the initial upward acceleration of the balloon can be calculated using the net force equation, and the terminal velocity can be calculated using the drag force equation. However, to get more accurate results, we would need to know more specific information about the balloon and its surroundings.

1. What factors affect the speed at which a balloon accelerates upwards?

The speed at which a balloon accelerates upwards is affected by several factors, including the weight of the balloon, the amount of lifting gas inside the balloon, and the air resistance or drag acting on the balloon.

2. Does the shape of the balloon affect its acceleration?

Yes, the shape of the balloon can affect its acceleration. A more aerodynamic shape will experience less air resistance and therefore accelerate faster compared to a less streamlined shape.

3. How does the density of the surrounding air impact the balloon's acceleration?

The density of the surrounding air plays a significant role in determining the speed at which a balloon accelerates upwards. A balloon will experience less air resistance in less dense air, allowing it to accelerate faster.

4. Can the material of the balloon impact its acceleration?

Yes, the material of the balloon can affect its acceleration. A lighter and more flexible material will allow the balloon to accelerate faster compared to a heavier and stiffer material.

5. Is there a limit to how fast a balloon can accelerate upwards?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a balloon can accelerate upwards. As the balloon ascends, the air density decreases, and the air resistance decreases with it. Eventually, the upward force from the lifting gas will equal the downward force of gravity, and the balloon will reach a maximum speed known as terminal velocity.