How can the mass of an object be determined with given variables?

• Thread starter suwarna07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of an object in free fall with given variables, but due to the nature of free fall, the mass cannot be determined with the given information.
suwarna07

Homework Statement

Δx = 82.9056 m ± 1m
a = 9.8 m/s/s ( its gravity object is in free fall)
v0 = .2424 m/s
v1 = 40.3106
t = 4.11

I need to find the mass of an object and i have lots of variables to play with but couldn't figure out :( .

Homework Equations

Ohh well this looks dumb.

a= f/m ( f = force of gravity since its in free fall)

The Attempt at a Solution

a= mg/m
and if i do this mass cancels out and i am left with a = g so please help

thank you for helping

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
an object in free fall will accelerate at the same rate (g) regardless of its mass, so either the problem is missing some information, or the mass cannot be found based on the given information.

1. What does mass of an object refer to?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object. It is a measure of the object's inertia and determines how it responds to external forces.

2. How is mass different from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

3. How do you find the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be found by using a balance or scale. The object is placed on the balance and the measurement is taken. The mass can also be calculated by dividing the weight of the object (measured in Newtons) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. What units are used to measure mass?

The most commonly used units to measure mass are grams (g) and kilograms (kg). In scientific settings, mass can also be measured in metric tons (t) or milligrams (mg).

5. Can mass change?

Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and therefore, does not change. However, the weight of an object can change in different gravitational fields. For example, an object will have a different weight on Earth and on the moon, but its mass will remain the same.