Register to reply

Speed of Bullet with specific latent heat of fusion and heat capacity [HELP ME PLEASE

by joyana32
Tags: bullet, capacity, fusion, heat, latent, specific, speed
Share this thread:
joyana32
Jan25-11, 01:52 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A lead bullet at 320K is stopped by a sheet of steel so that it reaches its melting point of 600K and completely melts If 80% of the k.e of the bullet is converted into internal energy calculate the speed with which the bullet hits the stee sheet.

2. Relevant equations
Specific heat capacity of lead = 0.12kJ/kg K
Specific latent heat of fusion is 21kJ/kg

3. The attempt at a solution
i have just started this class so i am a newbie to all of this i tired EK=1/2mv^2 but im having trouble with it
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Chopin
Jan25-11, 02:13 PM
P: 354
This doesn't belong in the Advanced Physics forum--the Introductory forum would be more appropriate.

Having said that, a good start would be to calculate how much energy it would take to melt the bullet. It doesn't tell you the bullet's mass, so just call it 'm' for now, and try to calculate the value in terms of that.

Register to reply