What was the initial temperature of the lead bullet before it melted completely?

In summary, the initial temperature of the lead bullet before striking the wall and melting completely was approximately 402.885K, which is close to the expected answer of 400K. This was determined by using the equations for kinetic energy and energy required for melting, and accounting for the latent melting heat and specific temperature of lead. It was found that the mistake in the calculation was due to an incorrect value for kinetic energy in the initial equation.
Vitalius6189

Homework Statement

A lead bullet flies at a speed of 450 m / s and, striking a wall perpendicularly, melts
completely. What was the bullet temperature before the blow, if for melting it consumes only half of its mechanical energy? Latent melting heat and the specific and melting temperature of the lead are λt
= 25 kJ / kg, c = 130 J / (kg · K) Tmelting= 600 K.

Homework Equations

½ x ½mv² = mcΔT + mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

The bullet (mass m) is first be heated to its melting temperature. Call the temperature-increase ΔT. This requires energy = mcΔT.

The bullet is then melted which requires energy = mλ

The bullet's initial kinetic (mechanical) energy was ½mv². Half of this heats and melts the bullet so:
½ x ½mv² = mcΔT + mλ

v²/4 = cΔT + λ

λ = 25000 J/kg
c = 130 J/(kg·K)

450²/4 = 130ΔT + 25000
ΔT = (67500 - 25000)/130
. . . = 327K

Therefore the temperature has risen 327K to reach melting point (600K) so the initial temperature was 600 - 327 = 273K (i.e. 0°C).
The problem is that the answer is supossed to be aproximately 400 K but i can't get it.
I feel like I'm missing something but don't know what.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is just the math in the end.
Everything is right up to:
[tex]\frac{450^2}{4}\text{=130$\Delta $T+25000}[/tex]
but [itex]\frac{450^2}{4}=50625[/itex], not [itex]67500[/itex] as you put in your solution.
So then:
[tex]\text{$\Delta $T=}\frac{(50625-25000)}{130}\text{=197.115}[/tex]
So [itex]T=600-197.115=402.885K[/itex]

Vitalius6189 said:
450²/4 = 130ΔT + 25000
ΔT = (67500 - 25000)/130
. . . = 327K
Looks like it may be a calculator problem. Try that calculation again.

I shoulb be way more attentive. Sorry for bothering and thank you for help.

Likes abilolado

1. What is the "Another Bullet problem"?

The "Another Bullet problem" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of infinity and probability. It poses the question of whether a person who has an infinite number of bullets in a gun can ever run out of bullets if they keep pulling the trigger.

2. Who came up with the "Another Bullet problem"?

The "Another Bullet problem" was first proposed by philosopher and mathematician Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. It has since been popularized and expanded upon by various scientists and philosophers.

3. What is the significance of the "Another Bullet problem" in science?

The "Another Bullet problem" is significant because it challenges our understanding of infinity and probability. It also has implications in fields such as physics, where infinity and probability play a role in theories like the multiverse.

4. Is there a definitive answer to the "Another Bullet problem"?

No, there is no definitive answer to the "Another Bullet problem." It is a thought experiment meant to spark discussion and challenge our understanding of infinity and probability. Different interpretations and solutions have been proposed, but there is no universally accepted answer.

5. How does the "Another Bullet problem" relate to other mathematical and philosophical concepts?

The "Another Bullet problem" is closely related to other concepts such as the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Zeno's paradoxes, and the concept of infinity itself. It also has connections to the field of probability and decision theory.