Register to reply

How do you dissolve plaster of paris

by joeoswald
Tags: dissolve, paris, plaster
Share this thread:
joeoswald
Jan27-11, 03:25 AM
P: 2
We have purchased a federation style home, which had the front painted white. During the removal process, we found that underneath several layers of paint, plaster of paris had also been applied in a random way, and is proving very hard to remove. We have tried HCL, as spirit of salts, but no luck. Also tried a caustic paste, but it still won't shift. Any product would have to be readily accessible, and relatively cheap. The house isn't that big, and it only the front of the house, but there are still alot of bricks that need plaster removed. Any ideas?
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
Kracatoan
Jan27-11, 03:51 AM
P: 119
http://www.ehow.com/how_5717773_remo...ter-paris.html

or this thread gives acid based suggestions:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139990

but if it is on a house, perhaps vinegar is not a good option.
joeoswald
Jan27-11, 04:20 AM
P: 2
Thanks Kracatoan, we will try it over the weekend.

Phrak
Jan27-11, 04:33 AM
P: 4,512
How do you dissolve plaster of paris

Can you rent a sand blaster?
Borek
Jan27-11, 10:30 AM
Admin
P: 23,594
Don't believe in acids. Muriatic perhaps, but even then I would not expect outstanding results, and it can eat through everything else first. Sadly, as far as I know scraping is the best option.
DDTea
Jan27-11, 08:52 PM
P: 137
Hmm, if it were up to me, I'd apply 30% Hydrogen Peroxide or Perchloric acid then follow it up with some Hydrofluoric Acid. That's asking for a pandora's box of trouble though. Also, it may require some kind of portable microwave generator for best results... :)
Borek
Jan28-11, 02:30 AM
Admin
P: 23,594
Quote Quote by DDTea View Post
Hmm, if it were up to me, I'd apply 30% Hydrogen Peroxide or Perchloric acid then follow it up with some Hydrofluoric Acid. That's asking for a pandora's box of trouble though. Also, it may require some kind of portable microwave generator for best results... :)
When I think about the results I think it would be easier and safer to rent a bulldozer.

Don't forget to insure the house before trying.
Ehecatl
Jul16-11, 09:34 AM
P: 3
I am so surprised that the people on this forum, and other forums, obviously don't have a clue about the chemistry of plaster of paris. I read in so many places things like "uh, try some kind of acid..."

So I have a lot of concentrated chemicals on hand and did lots of experiments with all kinds of acids, both dilute and concentrate, under many conditions and determined that acids do not dissolve Plaster of Paris in any way, but sometimes make it harder.

The chemicals which dissolve plaster of paris are on the basic end of the PH scale, not acid. I first had some success with potassium cyanide, but what really worked better than anything is Sodium Bicarbonate. Makes sense. The sodium in baking soda hooks up with sulfur in the plaster, and the carbon hooks up with the calcium in the plaster.

TO BEST DISSOLVE PLASTER OF PARIS PLACE IT IN WARM WATER WITH LOTS OF BAKING SODA.

Don't use any acids or it will only defeat the process.

Now what really amazes me is that the answer is so simple and safe, and surely some people must know it, but it apparently cannot be found on the internet, until now.

Register to reply