Linear Generator Coil Requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a linear electricity generator using a magnetic piston moving back and forth in a coil housing. Reference materials for designing the coils and magnets are suggested, with a mention of using the "shake flashlight" as a starting point. The conversation also touches on the factors that affect power output, such as the strength and speed of the magnet, number of wire turns, and resistance. The conversation then shifts to adding multiple DC power sources in series and/or parallel to increase voltage and current output. Questions are raised about the complications that may arise and whether the voltage and current outputs of each power source should be equal. A diagram is requested for clarification.
jrx07
Hey I'm interested in designing a linear electricity generator (think magnetic piston moving back and forth in a coil housing) and was wondering if anyone could reference where I should look for designing the coils/magnets. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The "shake flashlight" is a pretty good place to start, LOL. I am uncertain what you mean by "designing the coils/magnets." The stronger the magnet, the higher the B field, the closer the magnet is to the coils, the lower the losses, the more turns of wire, the higher the voltage and higher the resistance for any given size wire. The faster the magnet moves, the higher the power output. If you want to quantify things, you might review solenoids:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

Your "generator" is just a solenoid in reverse.

Fish

jrx07, Have you found any good reference material for the design of a linear generator?

I need to add two, or more (say 20) dc power sources, with a combination of series, parallel connection to obtain both Voltage add-up (in Series) and current add-up (in parallel), because i will be using a series-parallel combination for that.
Please advise that:
1. can the above be done without facing complications.
2. for adding two or more dc power sources (for battery, and for electronic), the
voltage of each dc power source must be equal (say all are delivering 5v, or 3v, or
whatever)?
3. should the current output also be equal of all dc power sources to be added in
Series/Parallel/Series-Parallel, if the above (2) is true (say all should be delivering 4
mAmp, or 5 Amp, or whatever?
4. Please give detailed answer, with diagram, if any, i shall be grateful.

1. What is a linear generator coil?

A linear generator coil is an electromagnetic device that converts motion into electrical energy. It consists of a coil of wire that moves through a magnetic field, generating an electric current.

2. What are the requirements for a linear generator coil?

The requirements for a linear generator coil include a conductive material for the coil, such as copper wire, a magnetic field to pass through the coil, and a mechanism for motion to be converted into linear movement of the coil.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a linear generator coil?

The efficiency of a linear generator coil is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed and direction of the coil's motion, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the wire used.

4. How can the output of a linear generator coil be increased?

The output of a linear generator coil can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the speed and direction of the coil's motion, adding more turns to the coil, and using a more conductive material for the wire.

5. What are some common applications of linear generator coils?

Linear generator coils have various applications, including power generation in hydroelectric dams, converting ocean wave energy into electricity, and in some types of electric motors and generators.