Details at each station of an ideal turbojet

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date
In summary: Station 3: CDP Compressor Discharge Pressure=195.3 kPaArea=?Station 4: CDP Compressor Discharge Pressure=197.1 kPaArea=?Station 5: CDP Compressor Discharge Pressure=200.7 kPaArea=?I don't see any errors.
roldy
I'm working on a project of which involves the analysis of a fixed area ideal turbojet. I'm calculating all the parameters at each station. I'm having a problem with stations 3, 4, 5 (end of compressor, end of burner, end of turbine). What happens to the mach number, pressure, and temperature (not total pressure and temperature) at each of these stations. I've calculated the parameters for all other stations but I can't find information on what happens to P and T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start with what you think happens.

You should know what happens through the compressor (the name kind of gives it away). Through the burner, the gas turbine is modeled as a Brayton cycle, or a constant [what] combustion. You should know what happens to temperature.

After that, what happens in the turbine? Why is it there?

Here is what I know:

Inlet to compressor:
Pressure and Temperature increase
Total Pressure and Total Temperature remain constant

Compressor to burner:
Pressure=?
Total Temperature, Total Pressure, and Temperature increase

Burner to turbine
Pressure=?
Total Temperature and Temperature increases
Total Pressure remains constant

Turbine to end of turbine
Pressure=?
Temperature remains constant
Total Pressure and Total Temperature decrease

end of turbine to nozzle
I have a value for the Pressure but I'm not sure if it increased or decreased
Temperature decreased
Total Temperature and Total Pressure remained constant

nozzle to end of nozzle
Pressure is equal to Pressure at inlet
Temperature has decreased
Total Temperature and Total Pressure still remain constant

At station 5, would the flow be choked too? Meaning, would the Mach number be 1.0?
Attached is a table of calculations I have thus far done.

Attachments

• Workbook2.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 230
At Station 3, at the end of compression, we essentially have our maximum pressure in the engine (commonly called CDP or PCD compressor discharge pressure).

Across the burner, it you look at the general cycle diagrams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brayton_cycle.svg
you'll see that we have essentially constant pressure combustion. That's what defines the cycle.

Across the turbine, the flow is expanded, or pressure decreases to ambient at the exhaust. Static enthalpy is extracted and turned to usable work. This causes a reduction in static temperature.

You're just about there.

Yes, I understand that after the compressor we have maximum pressure. What I don't know, is how to calculate the static pressure when I know all parameters except for the density and area.

Often times the compressor pressure ratio is a design parameter. From your workbook you have both temperatures and total pressure. Can you use an isentropic relation?

I think I solved for the pressures correctly according to the formula below.
[tex]
\frac{P}{P_{t}}=\left(\frac{T}{T_{t}}\right)^\frac{\gamma}{\gamma-1}
[/tex]

Solving for P I can now find [tex]\rho[/tex] and the area at each station.
Below is the new table. I looked over the values and they all seem correct to me. Do you see any errors?

Attachments

• Turbojet Engine Design.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

1. What is a turbojet engine?

A turbojet engine is a type of air-breathing jet engine that is used in aircraft propulsion. It is composed of several sections, including a compressor, combustion chamber, turbine, and nozzle, which work together to produce thrust.

2. What are the details of the compressor section in a turbojet engine?

The compressor section in a turbojet engine is responsible for compressing the incoming air before it enters the combustion chamber. It is typically made up of multiple stages, each consisting of a rotor and stator blades. The blades rotate at high speeds, creating a decrease in air volume and an increase in air pressure.

3. How does the combustion chamber work in a turbojet engine?

The combustion chamber is where fuel is mixed with compressed air and ignited, producing high-temperature gas. This gas expands and passes through the turbine, generating a large amount of energy that is used to power the compressor and other engine components.

4. What is the role of the turbine in a turbojet engine?

The turbine is a set of blades that are turned by the high-temperature gas produced in the combustion chamber. As the blades rotate, they power the compressor and other engine components. The turbine also helps to maintain a constant speed and provide a smooth airflow through the engine.

5. How does the nozzle contribute to the functioning of a turbojet engine?

The nozzle is the final section of a turbojet engine and is responsible for accelerating the exhaust gases produced by the turbine. This creates a high-velocity jet of exhaust that produces thrust and propels the aircraft forward. The nozzle also helps to direct and shape the exhaust flow, increasing the engine's efficiency.