Measuring the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor

In summary, the speaker is planning to redesign a small centrifugal compressor that was previously limited by material, motor, and budget constraints. They want to increase the pressure output by scaling up the model and measuring the values to validate their calculations. They plan to use a manometer and the ideal gas law to calculate the density and total pressure. The speaker also mentions adding a diffuser to the output to make it easier to measure the static pressure. They ask for confirmation that their process is correct and will provide reasonable values.
mastermechanic
TL;DR Summary
Measuring the total pressure of centrifugal compressor by measuring the static temperature and the blade velocity
Hello everyone,

Nowadays I am planning to redesign my centrifugal compressor which I designed for a subsystem in my graduation project. It's a 3D printed and brushless motor driven centrifugal compressor and its about a hand size. However, due to its relatively small size and relatively low RPM ( about 15,000 RPM) it didn't provide enough pressure. In fact, I knew that it won't work because I designed it to reach 1.01 bar :) because I was limited by the material, motor and the budget. I just wanted to give it a try.
IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4523.jpg

Anyway, now I want to scale it in order to reach about a 2 bar. Without doing any changes on the blade profile or casing (maybe I do because there may be choking) I will increase the motor speed with a gearbox and also scale up the model to increase the tangential velocity of the blade tip.

This time, I want to measure the values in order to validate my calculations. Therefore, I need to know total pressure of the blowed air. I am going to buy an absolute pressure manometer for gases and place it to the end of the compressor. This will measure the static pressure of the air.

I will approximate the air velocity from the tangential velocity of the blade (because I will be able to measure motor speed with a tachometer).

But since the density in the dynamic pressure is coupled with the pressure and temperature. I am planning to calculate density from ideal gas law. Assuming the temperature increase is not significant, taking the room temperature and static pressure measured in the compressor the density and eventually total pressure can be calculated.

Calc.png

So my question is that is this process correct? Would I get reasonable values? Here, the total pressure will be a function of the static pressure measured and temperature (approximated).

Thank you in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Measuring the output of a centrifugal compressor requires a little more sophistication. First, you need to measure the entire fan curve, not just one point. That requires an adjustable restriction on the downstream side. Good search terms to learn more are fan curve and measure fan curve. An example of a set of fan curves for a large industrial blower at various speeds:
Fan curve.jpg

I suggest adding a diffuser to the output so that you need only measure the static pressure. If you really want to measure both static and dynamic pressure, you need a pitot tube (search the term). A simplified sketch of a pitot tube is shown below:
Pitot tube.jpg

A diffuser is a tapered increase in duct diameter for the purpose of slowing down subsonic flow, thus increasing the pressure. An example is shown below:
Diffuser.jpg

If your compression ratio is 2.0, (1 bar to 2 bar), then the temperature increase will be significant.

1. How is the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor measured?

The total pressure of a centrifugal compressor is typically measured using a pressure gauge or transducer placed at the compressor outlet. This gauge measures the total pressure, which is the sum of the static pressure and the velocity pressure.

2. What is the significance of measuring the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor?

Measuring the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor is important because it provides information about the performance and efficiency of the compressor. It also helps to ensure that the compressor is operating within safe and optimal conditions.

3. What factors can affect the total pressure measurement of a centrifugal compressor?

The total pressure measurement of a centrifugal compressor can be affected by factors such as the compressor design, operating conditions, and any obstructions or blockages in the compressor inlet or outlet. Changes in temperature and humidity can also impact the total pressure measurement.

4. How does the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor relate to its efficiency?

The total pressure of a centrifugal compressor is directly related to its efficiency. A higher total pressure indicates that the compressor is able to generate more power and compress more air, resulting in a more efficient operation. Therefore, monitoring and optimizing the total pressure can help improve the overall efficiency of the compressor.

5. Can the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor be adjusted?

Yes, the total pressure of a centrifugal compressor can be adjusted by changing the compressor's speed or by altering the inlet guide vanes. These adjustments can help to optimize the compressor's performance and ensure that it is operating at the desired total pressure level.