Protons to accelerate a space probe

In summary, Joe asked for verification on his calculations for a space probe driven by an ion propulsion motor. He correctly calculated the velocity of ions leaving the probe and the force exerted on them. He also correctly calculated the time it takes to accelerate the probe from 0 to 100km/h.
josephcollins
Okay ppl, I have a question, I'd just like you to check that my working here is correct.

Q: A space probe of mass m=490kg is driven by an ion propulsion motor that involves the use of positive ions, each of mass m=2.18*10^-25 kg and having a charge of magnitude e=1.6*10^-19 C. These ions, having a negligible initial velocity, are accelerated by a potential difference of magnitude 1.2*10^3 V that exists between two electrodes which are a distance of 5cm apart. The ejection of these accelerated ions from the space probe generates a forward thrust that drives the probe.

I got the velocity with which the ions leave the probe, using the argument that kinetic energy and velocity are equal. So mv^2=QV and v turns out to be 419169.8 m/s

Then I had to calculate the Force exerted on the ions when the number of ions between the electrodes is 2*10^13. This I did by saying that F=EQ, and since E=V/separation, F=VQ/separation. I got an answer of 0.0768N.

Lastly I had to calculate the time taken to accelerate the probe from 0 to 100km/h. I did this by first getting the acceleration of the probe. It is equal to F/m where F=0.0768N and m=490kg. so a=1.567*10^-4 m/s^2. Then I used (v-u)/a gives the time and set v= 100000/3600 and used the accn just calculated to get a time of 49.23 hrs. Could someone just verify that I did this correctly in terms of the logic involved?

Thanks, Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same final answers you do, 49.23 hours to get to 100km/h but [itex] \frac 1 2 m v^2 = QV [/itex] gives 4.197 x 10^4 m/s.

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{(1.6 \star 10^{-19})(1.2 \star 10^3)}{(.5)(2.18 \star 10^{-25})}} [/tex]

Your working seems to be correct. You have correctly calculated the velocity of the ions leaving the probe and the force exerted on them. Your calculation for the acceleration of the probe and the time taken to reach a speed of 100km/h also seems to be correct. Overall, your reasoning and calculations appear to be accurate and logical. Great job!

What are protons used for in accelerating a space probe?

Protons are used as a source of energy to propel a space probe forward. They are accelerated to high speeds and then directed towards the probe to give it a push.

How do protons accelerate a space probe?

Protons are accelerated using a device called a particle accelerator. This device uses electric and magnetic fields to speed up the protons to very high velocities.

Why are protons preferred over other particles for accelerating a space probe?

Protons are preferred over other particles because they have a relatively high mass and can be accelerated to very high speeds. This allows for a greater amount of energy to be transferred to the space probe, giving it a stronger push.

What are the potential risks of using protons to accelerate a space probe?

The main risk of using protons to accelerate a space probe is radiation exposure. Protons are highly energetic and can cause damage to electronic components on the probe if not properly shielded. There is also a risk of collisions with other particles in space, which can cause damage to the probe.

Can protons be used for accelerating a space probe indefinitely?

No, protons can only be used for a limited amount of time as they eventually lose their energy and slow down. This is why multiple accelerations are often necessary for a space probe to reach its destination. Additionally, the amount of energy needed to accelerate a probe to extremely high speeds would require a significant amount of resources and may not be feasible for long periods of time.