Finding nth roots of a complex number

by mharten1
Tags: complex, number, roots
Share this thread:
mharten1
Mar6-11, 07:36 PM
P: 63
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have no problem using DeMoivre's Theorem to find nth roots of a complex number. However, I really don't know what this is accomplishing. Usually the book I use explains the concept behind a certain type of problem, but in this case, there is nothing.

I can easily get the correct answer, but I do not know what it means. Any help?

2. Relevant equations

DeMoivre's Theorem
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Slats18
Mar6-11, 07:47 PM
P: 47
Well, let us state what the use of these roots are. You can take one of these roots and raise it to the power of n (where n is the number of possible roots) and you will arrive back at the same answer. Also, depending on n, the roots should be positioned equally around the complex plane, with the same angle between each of the roots. This might not explain much, but that's about all I know about the roots =)
Berko
Mar6-11, 08:37 PM
P: 68
As well ask why find roots of real numbers? As you go on you will find situations where finding the root of a number is important. Sometimes, it is important knowing where the roots are so as to "avoid them".

Register to reply