Finding the Value of m in a Complex Number Equation

In summary, the equation has one real root and two complex conjugate roots. The sum of the complex roots is zero, and the product of all three roots is equal to m+2i. To find the value of m, we can set the imaginary part of the left side of the equation to zero, which leads to m=0.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Let z be a complex number satisfying the equation ##z^3-(3+i)z+m+2i=0##, where mεR. Suppose the equation has a real root, then find the value of m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation has one real root which means that the other two roots are complex and are conjugates of each other.
Let ##\alpha, \beta, \gamma## be the three roots. The coefficient of z^2 is zero.
Hence ##\alpha+\beta+\gamma=0##. Let ##\gamma## be the real root and the other two are complex. The sum of the complex roots is zero. From here, i get ##\gamma=0##.
Product of roots, ##\alpha \beta \gamma=m+2i=0##. This gives me ##m=-2i## which is incorrect as m is a real number.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of the complex roots is zero.
Why? Their imaginary parts cancel, but the real parts do not have to.

Your approach is way too complicated. If the equation has a real root, there is a real z which satisfies the equation. What is the imaginary part of the left side? It has to be zero...
This allows to calculate z and m.

mfb said:
Why? Their imaginary parts cancel, but the real parts do not have to.

Oops, sorry about that.

mfb said:
Your approach is way too complicated. If the equation has a real root, there is a real z which satisfies the equation. What is the imaginary part of the left side? It has to be zero...
This allows to calculate z and m.
Do you mean I have to substitute z=x+iy and compare the real and imaginary parts?

mfb said:
there is a real z which satisfies the equation.
What is the imaginary part of z^3 if z is real? What is the imaginary part of (3+i)z?
m is real, and the imaginary part of 2i is obvious.

Thanks a lot mfb! :smile:

1. What are complex numbers and how are they represented?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit.

2. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number only has a real part, while a complex number has both a real and an imaginary part. Real numbers can be represented on a number line, while complex numbers require a two-dimensional plane called the complex plane.

3. How do you perform operations on complex numbers?

To perform operations on complex numbers, you can use the rules for combining like terms and the distributive property. Addition and subtraction are done by combining the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. Multiplication is done by using the FOIL method, and division is done by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.

4. What are the roots of a complex number?

The roots of a complex number are the solutions to an equation of the form z^n = a + bi, where n is a positive integer and z is a complex number. There can be n distinct roots, and they are located on the complex plane.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to represent quantities that have both a magnitude and a direction. They are also used in signal processing, electrical engineering, and computer graphics. In real life, they are used to solve problems involving AC circuits, vibrations, and rotations, among others.