Register to reply

Switching frequency

by rama1001
Tags: frequency, switching
Share this thread:
rama1001
Mar9-11, 12:54 PM
P: 133
It is very basic and makes me angry because i did not understand exactly what does switching frequency means and why is the duty if this in SMPS?
Cany one explaine me clearly?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Augmented reality helps in industrial troubleshooting
How wireless technology can dramatically improve ship safety
Averagesupernova
Mar9-11, 01:10 PM
P: 2,528
I don't fully understand your question but I will reply. Generally the higher the frequency the physically smaller a transformer can be built. A tranformer operates most efficiently at 50% duty cycle. Of course the SMPS in question may not even use a transformer. Please elaborate.
rama1001
Mar9-11, 01:23 PM
P: 133
Quote Quote by Averagesupernova View Post
I don't fully understand your question but I will reply. Generally the higher the frequency the physically smaller a transformer can be built. A tranformer operates most efficiently at 50% duty cycle. Of course the SMPS in question may not even use a transformer. Please elaborate.
What does switching frequency means and I saw some products which display in their manual like switching frequency is 500kHZ etc..what exactly it specifies. Please I am new this topics.

sophiecentaur
Mar9-11, 01:59 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,163
Switching frequency

A mains power supply works at 50Hz (or 60Hz). This involves a great big transformer and many sweaty components. ASMPS produces a high frequency and then can use a small transformer (that's the way it is with magnetic components). In addition, a SMPS can give you stabilisation, also without getting hot. The switching frequency is the frequency that the power supply uses to do its 'transforming' (which may not actually involve a transformer at all) - but that's for a future discussion.

If you use 500kHz, you won't have problems like power supply hum!!!!
Bob S
Mar9-11, 09:03 PM
P: 4,663
Here is a very old unregulated (1960's) dc to dc converter (switching mode power supply) circuit using two 2N3055 transistors to generate about 300 volts from a 6 volt battery. This circuit uses a standard 60-Hz transformer, and the switching frequency (determined by the resistor and transformer inductance) is several hundred Hz.

http://www.wbnoble.com/WN_articles/CD-ignition-SK.pdf

This evolved into the Delta Mark Ten kit about 1968. The Delta kit had a pot core transformer instead of a standard 60-Hz transformer.

http://www.selectric.org/delta/index.html

Bob S

Register to reply