Trig identities, what does this mean?

In summary, the trigonometric identity tan theta=sin theta/cos theta means that the tangent of an angle is equal to the sine of that angle divided by the cosine of that angle. This identity can also be applied to oblique triangles, using the law of sines and cosines.
supernova1203
Tan theta=sin theta/cos theta

What does that identity mean? What does it say about the triangle?

And what on Earth is an identity?

I understand everything taught in the course so far, trig ratios, reciprocal trig ratios, special angles etc etc...but i have no idea what identities mean, some of them i recognize because they are reciprocal trig functions like

sin theta=1/cosecant theta -->which means that sin theta the angle is reciprocal to its cosecant... but Tan theta=Sin theta/cos theta... what does that even mean?or what about cotangent theta = cos theta/sin theta

Im lost mostly in trig identities @_@

and please no dictionary definitions, pretend your trying to explain these concepts to your 80 year old grandma @_@

from what i can gather an identity is basically left side equals right side?

for some reason reciprocal trig identities are easier for me to comprehend...because i know what a reciprocal is

omg i just read a page where it shows the sides as being sin theta and cos theta...i thought theta was for angles then why did they mark the sides of the triangle like this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for tan theta if you break up sin and cos into their parts, that is op/hy and adj/hp and divide you will get the definition of tan which is op/adj. cot is when you divide cos/sin again the hyp will cancel out.

Identities are like masks to an actor: the same actor can wear many masks. There synonyms telling you the same thing. so yes one side does equal another.

hope this helps a bit

I would recommend going to
http://www.khanacademy.org/video/trigonometric-identities?playlist=Trigonometry
And watching this video, along with the following four. He does a good job on breaking it down in simpler terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
MacLaddy said:
I would recommend going to
http://www.khanacademy.org/video/trigonometric-identities?playlist=Trigonometry
And watching this video, along with the following four. He does a good job on breaking it down in simpler terms.

your right, i just checked it out, makes a whole lot more sense than how the teachers explain it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sin(θ) is not an angle, or a side. Sine, Cosine, and Tangent are all functions of angles. In right triangle, these give the ratios of sides.

θ is an angle, however.

Are sine, cosine, and tan defined for anything other than a right triangle? and if not why not?

Yes; sine, cosine, and tangent are defined for all triangles. They can also be defined without reference to triangles. When working with triangles, oblique triangles are thought of as being two right triangles.

armolinasf said:
Are sine, cosine, and tan defined for anything other than a right triangle? and if not why not?

They also apply to oblique triangles, although you have to use the law of sines and cosines.

1. What are trig identities?

Trig identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and are true for all values of the variables in the equation. They help to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

2. Why are trig identities important?

Trig identities are important because they allow us to solve complex trigonometric equations, simplify expressions, and prove other mathematical theorems. They are also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

3. What are the most commonly used trig identities?

The most commonly used trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you need to use algebraic manipulations and the properties of trigonometric functions to show that both sides of the equation are equal. This can involve using known identities, manipulating one side of the equation to look like the other, or using substitution.

5. How can I remember all the trig identities?

It can be helpful to memorize the most commonly used trig identities and practice using them in various equations. You can also create your own study aids, such as flashcards or cheat sheets, to help you remember the identities and their applications. Over time, with practice and use, the identities will become more familiar and easier to remember.