Formula for the Path of the Sun

In summary, the speakers discussed their attempts to find an equation to fit the path of the sun based on measurements they took in their astronomy class. They realized that the change in the tilt of the earth made it difficult to use a simple sine or cosine graph and dropped the subject. They pondered if there was a simpler way, such as using spherical trigonometry or calculus, to calculate the equation. However, they acknowledged that the accuracy and time scale needed for the equation would determine which function would be most suitable. They also mentioned that a google search did not yield any results, and they were hoping for input from an observational astronomer.
alech4466
Last semester in my astronomy class, we tried to find an equation that would fit the path of the sun based on measurements we took, but we realized that due to the change in the tilt of the earth, it wouldn't be a simple sine or cosine graph, and we dropped the subject. I was wondering if there is any simple way, using spherical trigonometry, calculus, or something to calculate the equation

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It really comes down to how accurate you want your equation to be, and over what scale of time. For the day-to-day, a sin function wouldn't be too bad (considering only the regions where it is daylight). To take into account the yearly oscillation of tilt, you would (I think) have to modulate your initial sin function (with a period of a day), with another smaller-amplitude sin function (with a period of a year).

If you looked at the situation in more detail (e.g. the geometry) you might find that simply 'sin' isn't the best function. Perhaps sin raised to some power would be better etc etc.

I'm sure the answer is readily available out there. Have you tried a google search? Hopefully an observational astronomer will chime in---I'm sure they have the specific answer.

I've done a google search, but I didn't find anything.

When we tried to find the equation, we tried just using a normal sine equation over the period of a day, not taking the oscillation of tilt into account

Thanks

What is the formula for the path of the sun?

The formula for the path of the sun is known as the analemma, and it is a mathematical representation of the sun's position in the sky over the course of a year. It takes into account the tilt of the Earth's axis and the elliptical shape of its orbit around the sun.

How is the formula for the path of the sun calculated?

The formula for the path of the sun is calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, and specific astronomical values, such as the Earth's axial tilt and the eccentricity of its orbit. This formula allows us to predict the position of the sun in the sky at any given time of year.

Why is the formula for the path of the sun important?

The formula for the path of the sun is important because it helps us understand the changing position of the sun in the sky throughout the year. This is useful for a variety of purposes, including navigation, agriculture, and the study of weather and climate.

Can the formula for the path of the sun be used on other planets?

The formula for the path of the sun is specific to the Earth and its orbit. However, similar formulas can be used to calculate the path of the sun on other planets, taking into account their unique axial tilt and orbital characteristics.

How accurate is the formula for the path of the sun?

The formula for the path of the sun is very accurate, with a margin of error of only a few minutes. However, factors such as atmospheric conditions and the presence of clouds can affect the perceived position of the sun in the sky, leading to slight variations in its path.