Limit switch explained in everyday language

In summary, a limit switch is a type of switch that is connected to a control function and is activated by something "hitting" it. It is commonly used in electro-mechanical mechanisms to detect the end of motion range and is monitored by software in modern equipment. There are various types of limit switches, such as mechanical and optical, which function differently but serve the same purpose.
Stanley_Smith
Can someone explain to me how limit switch works in everday language, I got some sources that are too technical.

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stanley_Smith said:
...I got some sources that are too technical.

Thank you,

Share the sources and maybe we can help.

Regards

Don

http://www.ab.com/sensors/products/limit_switches/

I find it's not very easy to comprehend 100% the whole article

Last edited by a moderator:
The real difference between a "limit" switch and any other switch is that it is connected to a control function.
In other words activation starts, stops or otherwise modifies some process.

Your link is to a particular device that can be used for this function.
There are other types using light, magnetism, pressure ect.
You could take the light switch off your wall and use it as a limit switch.

It is simply a switch which is activated by something "hitting" it. There are many different types of limit switches.

If you have a mechanism driven by a motor, it is very helpful to know when you have reached the end of your motion range. You can to this with a mechanical switch which is simply a micro switch with a arm attached. When your moving part compresses the arm the switch flips and turns off your motor (That is not the actual mechanism, but essentially what happens).

There are also optical limit switches, for these you attach a "flag" to your moving part, the flag (a tab of metal) passes through the optical switch it blocks passage of light (the source is a LED) and trips the switch.

Limit switches are on virtually all electro-mechanical mechanisms which involve movement of significantly massive parts. In modern equipment they are usually monitored by the software which is controlling the motion.

FAQ: Limit switch explained in everyday language

1. What is a limit switch?

A limit switch is a type of sensor that is used to detect the presence or absence of an object within a specified physical limit. It is commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings to control the movement of machines and equipment.

2. How does a limit switch work?

A limit switch works by using a mechanical or electrical mechanism to detect when an object reaches a specific point or limit. When the switch is triggered, it sends a signal to the control system to stop or change the movement of the machine.

3. What are the different types of limit switches?

The two main types of limit switches are mechanical and electronic. Mechanical limit switches use physical contact with an object to detect its presence, while electronic limit switches use sensors such as infrared or ultrasonic technology to detect the object's presence.

4. Where are limit switches commonly used?

Limit switches are commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings to control the movement and positioning of machines and equipment. They can also be found in home appliances, such as washing machines and refrigerators, to ensure proper functioning.

5. How do I choose the right limit switch for my application?

When choosing a limit switch, you should consider factors such as the type of object being detected, the required sensing distance, and the environment in which the switch will be used. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer to ensure you select the most suitable limit switch for your specific application.