Register to reply

Converting between units for thermal conductivities (BTUs involved)

Share this thread:
mclame22
May19-11, 12:23 AM
P: 13
The thermal conductivity of wood is 1 BTU per hour, per square foot, for a temperature gradient of 1 F per inch. Convert this to units of W/mK, knowing
1 F = 5/9 C
1 inch = 0.0254 m
1 foot = 0.3048 m
1 lb = 0.453593 kg
1 kcal = 4184 J

I know there are conversions between BTU and joules/calories, but he says looking this up will cost us half of the question. So far all I've concluded (I think) is that the unit we need to convert is
BTUinch / hrftF

But I'm not sure how to get rid of the BTU without knowing a conversion factor... If I can get rid of the BTU I'm sure I'll be able to figure the rest out. Is there a way to do it without knowing anything else, maybe by using the definition of a BTU?
I'm also confused about the difference between a degree Fahrenheit (F) and a Fahrenheit degree (F).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
omoplata
May19-11, 01:38 AM
P: 315
I agree that you can use the definition of BTU to find how many joules a BTU is. But are you allowed to use it?

About Fahrenheit, I THINK both are the same.

Register to reply