Number of molecular hits from air onto a surface

In summary, to compute the average number of molecular hits per unit time on a square inch of surface exposed to air, under normal conditions, we use the equations F=1/3*m<v^2>*n*S and p=nKbT, along with the assumptions that air is a mixture of 80% N2 and 20% O2, both of which are ideal gases, and that the average speed of a molecule, |v|, can be calculated as <v^2>1/2. Plugging in the values of 293 degrees K and 101325 Pa, we find a concentration of 2.67E25 particles/m^3. Using the Ncontact equation with this concentration, the area
mr-serendip

Homework Statement

Compute the average number of molecular hits, per unit time, experienced by a square inch of surface exposed to air, under normal conditions. Assume air is a mixture composed of 80% N2, 20% O2, both of which are assumed to be ideal gases. You will have to perform angular averaging. You will also need to know the average speed, |v| of a molecule. If you know how to compute it, go ahead and do it. Otherwise, you may simply pretend that |v|= <v^2>1/2. Give answer in units of inverse seconds

Homework Equations

F=1/ 3* m<v^2> n S S=area of surface
P=1/ 3* m<v^2> n m=mass of particle n= concentration of particles
p=nKbT Nconctact = nvtS

The Attempt at a Solution

I've assume 293 degrees K and 101325 Pa
I've set both equations of pressure equal to each other and I get down to 2.67E25 particles / m^3
I then plug into the Ncontact equation the concentration I've found of particles, along with the area of the surface, and the average velocity. I'm not sure about this assumption but For my calculations for the molar mass I did .8*28+.2*32=28.8 g = .0288 kg.
For my answer I got 8.75E24 hits per unit second.
I do know that the answer is about 2.00E24 hits per unit second.
I'm not sure where I could have went wrong, I'm not sure if I am approaching this problem correctly or using the correct equations but I did get fairly close, which could be luck also. I would appreciate help, I've been stuck on this for a while now. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your answer with this

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "number of molecular hits from air onto a surface"?

The concept of "number of molecular hits from air onto a surface" refers to the number of molecules that collide with and adhere to a given surface. This can be influenced by factors such as the concentration of molecules in the air, the surface area of the object, and the properties of the surface itself.

2. How is the number of molecular hits from air onto a surface measured?

The number of molecular hits from air onto a surface can be measured using various techniques, such as particle counters or surface analysis methods. These techniques involve counting the number of particles or molecules that come into contact with the surface over a given period of time.

3. What factors can affect the number of molecular hits from air onto a surface?

The number of molecular hits from air onto a surface can be affected by a variety of factors, including air temperature, air pressure, humidity, and the type and concentration of molecules present in the air. Surface properties, such as texture and chemical composition, can also play a role in the number of molecular hits.

4. Why is the number of molecular hits from air onto a surface important to study?

Studying the number of molecular hits from air onto a surface can provide valuable insights into processes such as chemical reactions, material degradation, and contamination. It can also help in understanding the effects of air pollution on surfaces and the environment.

5. How can the number of molecular hits from air onto a surface be controlled?

The number of molecular hits from air onto a surface can be controlled by adjusting factors such as air flow, temperature, and humidity. The use of surface coatings or treatments can also help to reduce or increase the number of molecular hits, depending on the desired outcome.