Charging by Friction: Explanation and Questions

In summary, the process of charging by friction involves rubbing two materials with different electron retaining powers together, causing one material to gain a surplus of electrons (positive charge) and the other to lose electrons (negative charge). The work done by the person rubbing the materials results in potential and heat energy, as well as instantaneous kinetic energy. Friction plays a crucial role in this process, as it allows for the transfer of electrons between the two materials. Without friction, it would not be possible to charge bodies by rubbing them together.
handsoff
hi! sir , please just tell me that this below explanation of charging by friction is right or not?
If anything wrong then just give the correct explanation.I will be highly thankful if you please give your own deep explanation of this topic!

If two materials with a difference in their electron retaining powers(say glass rod and silk cloth) are rubbed together , then we do some +ve" work" on one of the material(say glass rod) , in opposition to which the friction does "-ve "work"i.e at the time when we were adding energy to the rod friction was busy in taking away the energy from the rod. But where did the energy go?it gets stored in the system of glass rod and silk cloth in the form of potential energy i.e the work done by us gets converted into P.E and is then used to drive those e's whose work function is less , to move from one body to another.For example -In this case of glass rod and silk cloth , the atoms of glass are bigger in comparison to silk cloth and as a result the e's are taken away easily from glass rod than silk cloth and at last the silk cloth is left with extra e's and the glass rod with dificiency of e's , so glass rod acquires +ve charge and silk cloth acquires -ve charge .

also tell that does friction does the same amount of negative work or not ?(in the above against us)

Without friction will it be possible to get bodies charged by only slight rubbing?(i.e is friction the component that makes it possible to use the work done (i.e energy given) by us in the purpose of extracting e's)

Please answer soon, sir. please !

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about everything I'm going to write
so if something is wrong .. someone please correct me

i think the work on both rod and cloth will be +ve as some person is doing work (providing energy) to both the rod and cloth

the positive work on rod and cloth is equal to positive work done by person ... i.e -ve work done on person

and this work gets converted both into potential and heat energy amd instantaneous kinetic energy

What is charging by friction?

Charging by friction is a process in which two objects rub against each other, causing a transfer of electrons. This results in one object becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

How does charging by friction work?

When two objects with different levels of electron affinity come into contact and rub against each other, some of the electrons from one object are transferred to the other. This creates an imbalance of positive and negative charges, resulting in an electric charge on each object.

What are some examples of charging by friction?

Examples of charging by friction include rubbing a balloon on your hair to make it stick, shuffling your feet on a carpet and then touching a doorknob to experience a small shock, and rubbing a plastic comb with a wool cloth to attract small pieces of paper.

Is charging by friction dangerous?

In most cases, charging by friction is not dangerous. The electric charge produced is typically very small and harmless. However, in certain situations, such as in the presence of flammable or explosive materials, it can pose a fire hazard.

Can charging by friction be used for practical purposes?

Yes, charging by friction has practical applications such as in electrostatic precipitators used to remove dust and pollutants from the air, and in inkjet printers where charged droplets of ink are directed onto paper to create an image.